Saturday, March 21, 2009

acting class and mom's perspective

OK another great day in the land of Bahrain.  I went to breakfast with my father at Chili’s.  We walked there and had a great breakfast feast..the two of us for $12.  I came back to work out and prepare for my class.  Its nice having family around.  Its been awhile since I had that. 

The classes went very well today.  Its nice seeing the development of the children and teens as they improve.  What really rocked was the adult class.  One of the exercises I had them do, was bring in a sentimental object.  They talked about the object and a few got a little emotional.  Then, I had them do a sense memory exercise on that object.  Sense memory is a type of guided meditation I do in the class that is very effective.  I went first…and my personal, sentimental object was my old and beaten up Bible.  I’ve had it for 25 years and its been around the world a few times.  I explained the story of my divorce how I lost all hope…and the Bible and its promises of hope was the thing that kept me going.  I was trying hard not to preach…but just be honest with them and let my lifestyle preach for me.  I think it was quite effective…its one way to plant seeds.  Then everyone else went and re-told their sentimental objects.  It was a very effective exercise…most everyone in the room broke down…and nearly sobbed/cried hard when they were giving their story.  I often joke that I have a gift to make people cry (some might vehemently agree) but I say that tongue in cheek.  What I mean is that I think God has given me a gift where I can make people feel comfortable and safe about themselves enough so that they can explore emotional areas where they have not explored before. 

I thought it might be a good idea every once in a while to give another perspective on life in Bahrain.  I asked my mother to write about her experiences.  She was like many of you, coming over with fear and apprehension because her view of the Middle East was formed largely by the media.  I thought you might enjoy what she had to say:

“Wow!  Here I am on the other side of the world for the first time in the Middle East,  I am seeing this world that Rick has been living first hand.  Bahrain so far has shown me some very beautiful architure, some of the most gracious and friendly people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

We were invited to a wonderful barbeque our first night here and felt truly welcomed by quite a variety of people all melded into one.  The food was delicious and there was lively conversation from all parts of the world……very entertaining and warm.  It was a beautiful night, warm, outside by the pool, beautiful in every way.

Now I have sometimes a difficult time meeting new people.   Rick has met so very many here and Sunday after church we were invited to an authentic  Indian meal with a beautiful family.  I had never experienced anything like it before.  We ate on banana leaves (usually saved for weddings) , as westerners they gave me a fork and spoon but Don being Don ate the way of the Indian people mixing and eating with his fingers,  (Hope he washed his hands very well)  I tried things I’ve never tried before some very very hot , some very different,, some delicious and some I would    not call my favorite.    The  beautiful family invited us to their home (insisted) and made us wonderful tea.  The beautiful thing that happened before we left was Mama wanted to give me a present and said it was such an honor for us to be there (the honor was completely ours).  She excused herself and came back with a wonderful gold evening bag and gave it to me.  I was a bit teary earlier in the afternoon and this brought appreciative tears again.  What a great experience 

We have much more to see here but thus far Bahrain is modern, beautiful and I would not hesitate coming back and would in a heartbeat.  Rick has introduced us to some wonderful people, I am amazed that he knows so many after being here a relatively short time.  Rick has given  me the afternoon off, (ha) I am really enjoying a great book and a well deserved rest after seeing Israel in 8 days that could have easily been made into 14 days with the speed that my body is used to.

The apartment that Rick is renting is very nice.  Three bedrooms and 3 baths. Very comfortable beds and couches and the greatest of all someone to wash and clean for him at the most reasonable price.  Is Bahrain in my future????Just kidding…but it is wonderful being here, seeing all this, experiencing the cultures and spending bonding time with my boy (even tho he is 40)    Written by Rita with Rick’s persuasion. “

 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Your blog is very good, congratulations! I'm Force India and I have a blog. I would you visit my blog, please. My blog called Pole Position Force India, the web is www.polepositionforceindia.blogspot.com And you follow the blog it still much better, jejeje. Sorry for my English. Bye bye! Greeting from Spain!

Anonymous said...

Tell Ma not to get any ideas. I need her here. I am glad that you are all having a great time. I miss all of you very much!

Kristen

acting classes los angeles said...

Hi,

Nice blog..You really are a great teacher to your class.. Keep up the good work and more power to you..


-paul

Um Naief said...

Loved reading the blog form your mother. Made me teary eyed w/ a wanting for my own mother to visit. Glad she's having such a wonderful time.