Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Note that made my day

Today was one of those days were so many great things happened to me.  First of all, my son wrote me an email telling me he missed me.  I haven’t talked to him in a month.  So that got everything started on the right foot.  I sent home a care package full of Arabic trinkets and gifts, like camels, pashmina scarves, aladdin’s lamp, and Arabic costume jewelry.  I also threw in some of the magazines and newspaper articles that were written about me.  I should preface this next bit.  I had a dear friend from college, She was actually my first girlfriend.  We reconnected through facebook (don’t get any ideas, she’s married).  But it has been nice finding a friend again.  It turns out her sister, whom I was close to as well, is a teacher at Max’s school.  So we were able to reconnect right before I came back to the Middle East.  This is the email I got from the former girlfriend today about her sister and Max. 

“Connie called today and said that Max brought her the magazine you are on the cover of...she said he was beaming. He let her look at it for a few hours and then came back to get it because "he wanted to show other people". Just thought you could use something great about your kids!!!”

That just made my day.  I had been floating on clouds ever since.  Not only that…but we had our first meeting with St. Christopher School at 7:40 AM .  They are going to become a client of ours.  A big client.  They agreed to sponsor the acting school with their facility.  They were so enthusiastic about it as well.  Theya re going to send out our flyers and marketing material to all 2000 of their students.  This is an exclusive private school…one of the best in the Middle East and they are heartily endorsing us.  Its all about finding God’s favor. 

So we have a bit of work to do to get prepared for their big mailing that is going out on next week.  This is going to be big.  I feel very blessed. 

I next had an amazing meeting with a young Bahraini that wants to make it in the film industry.  He has so much passion.  He recently had an incredibly spiritual experience.   He is a devout Muslim.  It was just interesting talking about our faiths with neither one of us judging the other.  He is a sharp guy.  It will be interesting to see where his passion takes him.  If I could help out along the way…so be it.  I told him about our positive living small group, and he wants to come.

The day wound up just perfect.  Jerilynn, our photoshop and videographer artist is leaving for her two month leave to the Phillipines.  She is so excited and so is her husband.  She hasn’t seen her husband nor her son for two years.  I just cant imagine that.  So she invited the staff out to dinner at her favorite Filipino restaurant.  She has such a meager salary, yet she got a bonus today and was wanting to take all of us out.  I was very touched.  Khalifa wound up paying the bill which was very generous.  I had a nice time visiting with him.  We respect each other and we are becoming good friends.  I like everyone in the Shaheen family, but I’ve said that before haven’t i.  I told Khalifa that my parents were coming to visit and he got very excited.  He wanted to take them out in his boat.  I think that would be fun.  The rest of the night at the party, we all did Karaoke.  I really am enjoying the Karaoke…I can’t believe I haven’t done it all these years.  Filipinos…it seems live for Karaoke.  It’s a blast.  We all had a crazy time…and fancy that…no alcohol was involved. 

OK…now…I know that im truly blessed to day.  I just got off the phone with my kids.  We talked for an hour.  It was awesome.  Im on such a high right now.  Max was very animated in talking to me.  He said, Daddy, you are making me popular.  Apparently the word spread quickly about me being in and on the publications and everyone wanted to meet max.  He even said that his friends had to pretend to be bodyguards because everyone was mobbing him.  Wow!!! That is so cool.  I do want to be a hero in my kid’s eyes.  God is faithful.  Thanks you for your prayers in this regard…they are obviously working. 

No comments: