Thursday, March 26, 2009

More bellyaching again and Dubai thrown in for Mid-East flair

I had such a wonderful night with Khalifa, Tanya, Raimond’s Parents, and my parents last night it was fabulous.  Raimond is Tanya’s husband.   Raimond was out of town for business.   His father looks just like that guy with the moustache from the Monopoly game.  He is from Holland.  He was telling stories about World War II when the Nazi’s occupied Holland.  If I remember right, he lost his father, sister and brother to concentration camps.  One time they were there and the next he never saw them again.  I just can’t imagine the lifelong impression that would leave on someone.  He also said, that he had to go to food lines to survive.  It was a very humbling experience.  To this day he can’t go to a buffet and hold his plate out for food, it brings back too many bad memories. I like hearing stories like that…about how people overcame adversity and lived productive lives.  We all go through the crap..but its how we handle the crap is what defines our character.  I went through the crap…survived…but it seems like the crap is getting worse and worse and worse.  I haven’t talked to my kids in a few weeks.  That really sucks…I call….but they don’t return.  Im not even sure that X is allowing my messages to get through.  The last time Max communicated with me…he said…I left a silly message on his phone again and that proved I haven’t really changed.  Silly message…maybe it was enthusiastic.  Is that the worst thing a parent can do to a child is leave an enthusiastic…I miss you message.  Yes…Im a bit silly at times…but usually with the people I love.  But correct me if Im wrong…Isn’t a father supposed to be silly and have fun with his kids, 15, 13, 11…especially if he’s been that way to them their entire life?  X is really doing some mind control.  Im sure she’s spinning it like I abandoned the kids to their young minds…She’s really good at justifying her actions and twisting the stories to suit her purposes.  So she’s convinced them they don’t want to visit me.    But I would bring them out here to live with me in a heartbeat if I could.  They would love it here.  But the legal battle would be long and costly…and X would throw them in the middle of the battle and that would have long term damaging effects on them….so I just have to wait I out.  Im not good at that….but I pray that God protects them. 

I was reflecting on my week.  I think I was a little more bothered by my singleness than normal.  Im actually pretty darn happy most of the time here.  But having my parents come into my world brought a completely different perspective I wasn't anticipating.  They remind me of family and what I used to have.  Plus their relationship is so special (they've been married for 46 years) I am actually kind of envious.  They gave me an upbringing that wasn't perfect...but it was stable.  That is the best thing a parent can do for a child…stay married to their spouse.  So I failed in that regard (not by choice but by circumstance).  Now the thing is how can I be the best divorced dad around.  Perhaps I could move back to Texas…but X was making my life and their life miserable there too…The police showed up at my house more than once as she tried to charge with me with abandonment or some other bogus charge, or the falsified reports with CPS she manipulated the children into making.  The crap is almost unbelievable what she’d try to pull.  The closer I was the more contentious it seemed to become especially when she got married.  I think she felt guilty and had to keep re-inventing reasons that she made the right choice…so I had to become the bad guy in her and everyone around her eyes.    So I think that was one of the reasons God called me to the Middle East…so the target of me would be lessened.  But now she’s attacking my silly messages and buying ipod touches for my daughter…certainly mountains out molehills…and the result is the kids aren’t talking to me.  Its hard to imagine this…but she, like everyone else, is justified in her own mind .  It sucks…as my kids have to suffer through this. 

OK….enough whining….  If you are married…and thinking that the grass would be greener…don’t, don’t don’t.  Divorce is the worst thing ever, I think worse than death.  There are so many victims.  For example, my mother still is not over the divorce as she grieved the loss of her relationship with her grandchildren…or at least the relationship she used to have.  OK…enough of that crap.  I’ve said…crap like fourteen times in this blog…that has to be a record for this blog.

We got up early and flew to Dubai this morning.  I had to pick up some equipment and drop some off for repair.  So Im making a working trip out of it.  But my phone won’t work over here.  That’s frustrating because we’ve had a few fires I need to put out at the office.  I had to do it solely by email.  My parents are flying out of Dubai on Saturday anyway…so I figured this would be a good way for me to get away for a bit with them.  My dad wanted to see the place too.  So we arrived and got the huge video mixer…I don’t know how Im going to get it on the plane.  I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.   The architecture of Dubai is breathtaking.  There is so much construction going on.  I know the recession has hurt them a bit…but to my naked eye…I didn’t see it. 

Im staying with my parents at the Ritz Carlton in Dubai that overlooks the Gulf.  This place is absolutely beautiful.  It’s the essence of luxury really.  That has me a little lonely too…I just wish I had someone…or my kids to share it with.  I know we’d have a great time by the pool for instance.  But its still nice to share the experience with my parents…but its just not the same.  I was walking in the hallway…and one of the Ritz employees…walked by and said…Good evening Mr. Beeman…  “What?????”  How did he know my name….I didn’t think I met him…but that’s the essence of five star I guess. 

An interesting note about Dubai…Unless you looked on a map, you’d never know it was in the Middle East.  It’s about 80% ex-pat and only 20% arab.  It looks much more European than even Bahrain.  The downside of Dubai..its very expensive…and very crowded. 

I set up my meeting with the important contact.  We’re meeting tomorrow for coffee at four.  He’s really the main reason why I was able to justify this trip.  It could be big.  I hope I didn’t bellyache too much.  I just really miss my kids.  

No comments: