Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The 10-40 Window

I haven’t been writing in this blog that much lately. After the top ten list, everything that is happening in 2011 seems a little bit anti-climactic. But that doesn’t mean that there is nothing going on. I don’t want this blog to continually focus on the past as I have bemoaned it plenty of times. I do feel led to talk about it periodically as I know that it has benefitted some of you readers out there of which Im grateful. If I can be a blessing or if someone can learn from my hardships it sure makes it a little easier for me. But I have such a wonderful life to look forward to, especially finally living like a regular family with Jennifer and the addition of the little one. I know she is going to be a wonderful mother. One of my greatest joys in life is being a father. So I get to experience that once again. Jennifer is chronicling her pregnancy so if you haven’t read it, I’d encourage you to do so. jenni-sloan.blogspot.com/

Another huge reason I am not writing in the blog daily, like I did in Bahrain is there are just not a lot of cultural insights here. I feel like Im living in Los Angeles, only with more Indians and Russians. But something did happen to me yesterday that was noteworthy. I left my sunglasses in Hardees. The sunglasses weren’t super expensive, but not cheap either. So I went back the next day and they were waiting for me behind the counter. Would that have happened in the US? Another story Im not sure I mentioned. My videographer lost his phone on National Day (their July 4th). That was a crazy crazy day. There was so much excitement spilling everywhere into the streets. I thought the phone was lost for good. But he called it, and the person that answered arranged to deliver it back to him. Again, would that have happened in the US? People are very considerate and trustworthy here. This is the safest place I have ever lived. Even though things are getting nutty in Egypt and Jordan, this part of the Middle East is still great. Now, Im going to be absolutely honest, like I always am in this blog and give you both sides of the story. There are some negatives about living here. One of them, is that Arabs have a peculiar way of doing business. It has taken me awhile to adjust, but I think Im there. Without getting into specifics, and I know this is a stereotype but Logic just doesn’t seem to be that important here. Mr. Spock would be totally lost. Those westerners that live here will know exactly what Im talking about. But the good still far outweighs the bad. I do miss the US. The beef for one thing isn’t really that great out here because there just aren’t a lot of cows grazing in the desert (go figure). And the Diet Coke (to which Im addicted) is called Coke Light and tastes more like Diet Rite, than Diet Coke. But I still feel like Im called to be here for this certain period of my life. Im thrilled that Jennifer will be joining me. I think part of the reason why Im here is to spread my faith. I do it a lot through this blog and interpersonally. I haven’t had a chance to reach as many people as I did in Bahrain, but I think that point will come.

The area in the Middle East where Im living is called the 10/40 window. This means a geographic area or belt that has very little Christian Influence. Ill let Wikipedia explain: The 10/40 Window is a term coined by Christian missionary strategist Luis Bush in 1990[1] [2] to refer those regions of the eastern hemisphere located between 10 and 40 degrees north of the equator, a general area that in 1990 was purported to have the highest level of socioeconomic challenges [3] [4] and least access to the Christian message and Christian resources [5] [6] [7] on the planet. The 10/40 Window concept highlights these three elements: an area of the world with great poverty and low quality of life, combined with lack of access to Christian resources.The Window forms a band encompassing Saharan and Northern Africa, as well as almost all of Asia (West Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, East Asia and much of Southeast Asia). Roughly two-thirds of the world population lives in the 10/40 Window. The 10/40 Window is populated by people who are predominantly Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Animist, Jewish or Atheist. Many governments in the 10/40 Window are formally or informally opposed to Christian work of any kind within their borders.

So Im right smack dab in the middle of that window and maybe that is why I am here. I do want to make a difference in this world. I think if everyone could experience the peace and joy that I have in my life (despite the trying circumstances) this world would be a better place. Perhaps I can make a mass impact through the use of media. Wow I didn’t mean to write this long. One of the main reasons I haven’t been writing that much in this blog lately is that Im finally working on another screenplay. I haven’t written a screenplay since 1999. But I am working on a pretty good one now. Its an Arabic love story with some really great spiritual twists. Im pretty sure this one will sell since I know about this culture now. I have written in many different genres but never a love story before. But for one like me that has loved, lost, and loved again, I think I bring a very unique perspective. You are supposed to write about what you know. I think I know love thing now.

No comments: