Monday, March 9, 2009

A day in the Gulf

What a nice day it turned out to be.  I told you all last night that I was dreading going on the boat because I really wanted to sleep in.  I’ve been working pretty hard so Im a bit exhausted.  But I went to the boat and had a great time.  It was Khalifa, his childhood friend of 50 years and the girls from the office.  We all had a very nice time.  The water was amazing.  We were boating in the Persian Gulf.  It was like a lake, smooth as crystal and very clear.  In about 25 feet of water you could see the bottom of the sea.  It all seemed to be very tropical.  If they would invest in the tourism industry here in Bahrain, with the right marketing this place could be big. 

Khalifa, kind of knew I had an aversion to fish, so after he caught one…he kept putting it in my face asking me to take the hook out of its mouth.  It was flopping around…and thankfully, it flopped right off the hook.  I was tempted to throw it back in the sea, but the Filipino girls were counting on this to be their dinner tonight.  I wound up catching my first fish.  I gave it to Khalifa so he could take the hook out.  I went to the front of the boat while the others continued to fish, and wound up falling asleep.  It was so calm and refreshing.  It felt great.  Here am I, halfway around the world, boating with a 2 Bahrainis, 2 indian girls, and 3 Filipino girls.  It’s a pretty exotic locale.  I’m very fortunate to have this amazing experience.  I was so refreshed after coming back.  Im quite thankful that I was invited and that I went. 

Afterwards I went out to dinner with a lovely blonde from Zimbabwe, but she considers South Africa more of her home but she’s traipsed all over the world.  She is totally on fire for God.  She made it known that she is only interested in friendship, which is cool with me. It seems like every girl I’ve met the last year is only interested in the friends thing.  But im going to keep shooting for the girls out of my league. I know that God has my emotional, professional, and spiritual life under his control.   My emotional life is in God’s hands and I need to keep it there.  Ms. Texas even made a slight cameo appearance, as we are emailing each other again.  Not sure what will happen with that.  But the South African was just a delight to talk with.  God speaks to her as clearly as he speaks to me.  Even some of her stories of conversations with God were more spectacular than my own.  Like when God told her that her uncle was going to die of a heart attack while she was on a hike with him…She didn’t believe that was God’s voice…and 15 minutes later…he died.  So it was a nice dinner of sharing inspirational tales of God’s faithfulness.  

My social life on the island is getting very full.  I rarely have any time to myself.  When I do, I treasure it.  That is such a contrast to four months ago when I hated being alone and God was trying to teach me to embrace my solititude.  I guess I must have learned that lesson quickly, because I’ve had nothing but activity it seems since then.  Im starting to develop several really special friendships on the island.  Im quite happy and honored to be able to do that.  

No comments: