Sunday, March 1, 2009

reflections from the day before

Im a little bit more awake tonight than I was last night.  That was weird.  I wrote one sentence, fell asleep.  Wrote another, feel asleep.  I was writing at 11:30 at night here which wasn’t that bad.  I usually go to bed around 1.  Yet I had no idea how much mental energy I put into teaching the classes.  It really took its toll physically which is kind of different.  The classes were an amazing experience.  Everyone was very nervous as this had never been done in Bahrain before.  Out of the 15 students I had (in the adult class) only three had ever studied any type of acting.  So we are certainly pioneers in this region for this.  We all think we are a part of something special. 

I do this thing with my students that take them on a type of guided meditation.  It’s kind of like hypnotherapy-lite.  Its really cool.  I get them to totally relax their body.  It takes about 15 minutes as I softly guide them through the process.  Once the body is completely relaxed, their creativity can flourish.  They are open to suggestion.  I have them go back to a point in their past.  I have them relive the experience.  The trick is to focus on the details in their memory not the emotion.  The five senses, sight, sound, smell, taste and touch are what I have them focus on.  By doing that, they are able relive the experience and the emotions associated with that experience are triggered.  I only had them “under” for about 15 minutes, which is relatively short.  As I gently brought them out…it was a strange sight.  It was like they were all waking up from a deep sleep.  This thing actually works.  They all had vivid memories of their past.  I think if I were choosing careers again I would have chosen to be a psychologist.  Because helping people through their crap brings so much fulfillment for me.  I think If I made it through, I want to help others make it through too.   That sounds like a Barry Manilow song without the rain.   I think all the students really enjoyed the class.  They are very raw, since a lot of them are new to acting, but there is a level of natural talent in all of them.  Its my job to bring that out of them.  I tell the students, that this is the most unique acting class, they’ll ever take.  Its probably one of the most unique in all the world.  You come to my acting class, I teach you how NOT to act.  I just want them to be themselves, and part of that, is learning who your are at your core.  That is where the therapeutic part of the class comes in.  I tell them, I don’t teach acting.  I tell them, “Im here to help you…become a better you. “  It really works.  Im going to enjoy teaching this group. 

I have been in kind of funk all day.  I go through lulls of depression.  Im thinking why should I be depressed?…I know Im exactly where God wants me to be.  But still the situation with my children is bothering me.  I haven’t spoken to them in nearly 3 weeks now.  I think they are still angry at me over some perceived mis-communication.  Its my daughter’s 15th birthday today.  Im sad that Im not close enough to her to wish her a happy birthday.  I called, but I couldn’t get through.  I know in that side of the world, they think its my fault that I moved ½ way across the world.  But still there are a lot of reasons for my move…the major one is that I know that I know that I know, im in the center of God’s will.  Still it makes it kind of difficult being away from the ones that I love.  Im not sure when Im going to be able to get back to them.  They already expressed that they don’t want to come here to see me.  So your prayers in this arena are certainly coveted and appreciated.  Im told by dozens of people, not to worry that the kids will eventually see the truth and come back around eventually.  Still…I don’t want to have to wait 10 years to have that happen.  Some things in life…just suck.  I think this is one of them.   Im reading in Job right now, that his life sucked for apparently no reason at all.  I feel a little bit like Job sometimes, having lost everything that was dear to him.  Yet Job was blameless before God.  I admittedly screwed up.  But God has revealed to me, that in due time, I will receive a double portion of blessing just like Job did.  The part, I don’t like is having to wait.  We talked about that before.

Sun. night is quiz night.  This is the ritual for Guy and myself.  We get there a bit early, have awesome fish and chips, and play the quiz.  I wasn’t able to round up any of my friends so essentially it was just Guy and myself.  We won two of the five rounds and tied for second in two of the rounds.  It was a blast. 

I know God is faithful and I’ll see the purpose behind all of this pain in due time.  Still somedays, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel…and somedays that light is a dim flicker.  I just have to trudge through.  It will all make sense in the end…im sure of it.  

No comments: