Friday, June 12, 2009

A Perfect Day

Well the day started off well…actually the night before.  Max called me.  I was thrilled to get it.  He wanted to know why I hadn’t been calling him.  He was reaching out to me.  It really made me feel good.  I could tell he really misses me and I miss him.  I know, if he had no consequences to his choices, he’d choose to live with me, as would Spencer, but X simply will not allow that.  They would have to face too many emotional ramifications from that side and they are scared to do that.  Its sad…divorce so sucks.  But at least I will be able to see them in a few weeks.  Im really looking forward to that. 

So today was the day for our company picnic.  We all loaded on Khalifa’s boat and headed out to Adar island.  I brought my kayak along so the staff could give it a whirl.  We were all very excited.  We got to the island around 10am and it was already upwards of 110.  So its starting to get warm, but not humid.  Its more like Palm Springs weather.  We set up our tables in the private cabana area.  The girls brought soooo much food.  They just love having a party.  I spent the first part of the day in the hammock.  It was a  truly “this is the life” moment.  The boys took the kayak down to the beach and had fun trying to get in, and then falling over.  Most Indians don’t know how to swim.  It just comes second nature to most Americans.  But Indians aren’t by the water all that much.  So they stayed close to the shore.  There was one harrowing moment.  I wasn’t really paying attention.  Jerilyn, our Filipina photoshop artist got into the kayak.  She accidentally went past the barrier and got caught into the current.  It was a strong current, and she kind of panicked.  The current was quickly taking her away from the beach into the deeper water.  She didn’t know what to do, and had everyone yelling at her.  So I had to jump in quickly…no one else knew how to swim.  I drug her back to shore.  I think…im not sure…but I got stung by a jellyfish. No…I didn’t ask anyone to pee on my leg, so pipe down Kristen.   So Jerilyn was a little scared.  But everything was ok. 

So I went on the island to the restaurant.  I saw a very important person.  I can’t really tell you at this point who he is, but we are acquaintances that have bumped into each other a few times.  I said…I love this island…He said…”it’s mine.”  So he owns the island which is cool.  So we are trying to put together a reality television show about his life, which would be an absolute slam dunk.  I’ll tell you more about it in coming weeks if it develops.  But I talked to his manager and it seems like a go.  We spent a few hours talking about this and really enjoying each other’s company.  Keep this one in prayer it could be a go. 

Then I saw this 50-60 foot yacht pull up to the island.  It was beautiful.  So I was curious.  I hopped on the kayak and paddled over.  There were about 30 people on the boat and they threw me a beer (which I didn’t drink) they were all jumping in and out of the water.  They invited me on board and it turns out I knew a lot of them.  They kept asking me…”Are you the guy from the canoe?” I guess riding in a kayak isn’t as cool as a 60 foot yacht.   I met some new friends, including the owner of the boat who wanted to try out the kayak.  So he did.  There was so much drinking going on in this Yacht.  They kept offering me all sorts of alcohol which I declined.  I said, no thank you, and one of them said, I don’t trust people that don’t drink.  I didn’t want to play the religious card, because that would have a negative overall effect and play into the stereotype of religious folks.  I want to be a light in a dark place.  So I blamed it on my diabetes which is partially and mostly true, so we avoided an confrontational argument there.  Then the party got increasingly wild.  Some of the bikini’s these girls were wearing were nearly scandalous.  I had a hunch if I stayed any longer I might be on one of those “Girls Gone Wild” videos.  So I thought it would be prudent to excuse myself.  Im glad I met some new friends.   What a life that is.  But not entirely for me. 

I paddled back to shore.  Spent a lot of time talking to Khalifa, resting in the hammock, and finally at sunset we boated  back to yacht club.   I got home watched two episodes of LOST.  My friend the music man called, and he wasn’t doing anything tonight.  That never happens with the music man.  So we decided to go to a movie spontaneously.  That again is so rare for the music man and I.  He’s turning out to be one of my closest friends on the island.  We saw Pelham 123 which was fantastic.  We also had a great talk.  It is pretty clear to me, that one of the myriad of reasons God brought me to this island was to help people individually and quite clearly the music man is one of those.  I think there’s been close to 25 people where God has used me directly to inspire or to minister to.  (That isn’t counting the 70 acting students nor my staff where I impact indirectly. )  God speaks through me to them.  Which happens often now.  So as I was talking to the music man, I was really looking forward to writing this blog because of everything that happened to me.  I titled it “a near perfect day” in my head.  Then I thought, well what would make it a perfect day.  I thought if I had my kids with me or if I had a special girl or met someone special that would make it a perfect day. 

After the movie, not only did I start chatting with a potentially very special girl and had this long 2 hour chat, but Max called for the second day in a row.  We had a great conversation.  They are excited about me coming home in three weeks.  So I can honestly say two things.  God is faithful and it was a perfect day.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

tGod is in control......there are many perfect days ahead............He loves you.....great blog

ladybugger said...

I love that you are able to be so positive and optomistic, even in the face of adversity..I really enjoyed getting to know more about you you through your postings..I just wanted to let you know that I checked out your spot & that I hope you are having a blessed day.
Take care,
Ladybugger : )