Thursday, June 11, 2009

1/2 the day off

I guess all my activity at work yesterday and teaching really caught up to me.  I was wiped out today.  I don’t think Im getting older.  Its just that the mental strain is really starting to affect me physically.  So I get into the office a little bit later, around 9:30.  Khalifa and I spoke on the phone and perhaps he could hear it in my voice.  He told me to take the rest of the afternoon off.  Go get rested so I would be fresh.  It was quite refreshing to be recognized for how hard I’ve been working.  But that’s the thing, it doesn’t feel like work.  I’ve been working a six day week, at about 60 hours a week on average.  But again…I don’t feel like its getting to me, because I enjoy what I do.  I guess I have to start listening to my body more.

So I came home in the afternoon after I handled all my deadlines and just relaxed.  I watched a couple episodes of LOST, took a nap, then at sunset, took my kayak out in the Gulf.  I went for a long ride.  It was so peaceful and serene, even with all the powerboats and jet ski’s in the water.  Im really building up a lot of bulk in my upper body.  It seems much more effective and whole lot more fun then just lifting free weights. Plus its my quiet meditation time with God.   I went out farther and faster than I usually do.  Its nice because each time out I progress.  I ride really low in the water.  The type of kayak I have only is about an inch or two above the waterline, so when there is a small wave, it enters the kayak, but just drains automatically.  So this is why its so difficult for me to maintain my balance, but I have a rhythm going.  There were tons of jellyfish in the water today.  I must have passed or rode over 75 of them.  It certainly motivates me to stay in my kayak. 

I went out to dinner with a dutch girl tonight.  She is a lovely young girl, that is part of my acting class.  I think she is going to start teaching them for me too.  She’s a trained method actor.   She’s very young and has a boyfriend, so it wasn’t really romantic.   We went out just as pals.  I have been wanting to go to this ritzy restaurant that the Romanian and I went to way back when I first got here.  But I didn’t want to go to the restaurant alone, so I took her along.  It was an expensive price tag to pay for companionship, but worth it all the while.  I had a marvelous steak.  That’s hard to come by here.  Since there are no cows on the island, for that matter in the whole of the Middle East, all the beef is imported and usually its frozen and not very good.  So a fresh steak is quite expensive and quite a treat over here.  So those of you in Texas…enjoy your cattle farms, you have some of the best beef in the world, except for maybe Argentina. 

It’s the weekend for me here.  Thursday night is everyone else’s Friday night.  So im getting up early in the morning.  Khalifa is taking the entire office on his boat to go to a place called Adar Island, which is about a 30 minute boat ride away from Bahrain.  Apparently a lot of tourists go there.  Im looking forward to it.  The Filipinas know how to cook for a picnic.  They love to have parties.  So the food will be fantastic.  

No comments: