Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Sense Memory

It was Wednesday so another long day. I only have two of these 14 hour days left so the light is at the end of the tunnel. I do enjoy teaching. But it seems like that is the only aspect which I talk about my work. I think it’s the aspect that brings me the most fulfillment because I can see people growing and developing themselves. For the adult class I decided to get involved tonight. There is this technique I use called Sense Memory. You go back to a place in your past and your remember the sensory elements of that place. Stuff like sights, smells, sounds, touch, taste are the elements. If you go experience the sensory elements that somehow triggers a real emotional response. Now normally this takes about 10-15 minutes to build up with beginning actors. I take them on a guided meditation. Its not really hypnosis but its similar. It’s really powerful. The idea is that the more you do this exercise the better you become at it and you transition easier. So you can achieve an emotional response in 20-30 seconds if you are really good and practiced up.

So I decided to give it a whirl. Since, Im teaching I didn’t want to take too much time warming up. So I only had about 30 seconds and I did a sense memory of when my grandfather died. I wanted to go first as an example. I wasn’t really feeling emotional at first. But the more that I told his story the more choked up I became. Im thinking…the sense memory stuff works. So I start crying when I’m telling this story. As an actor…being able to cry on cue is really the ultimate. It surprised me, but the performance was really passionate and real. After I was finished, Nishad, the camera guy came over with a big smile on his face and shook my hand in congratulations. I think he was moved, even though he probably didn’t understand most of what I said. Im really starting to like Nishad. He’s a funny guy, but doesn’t speak hardly any English.

Two other girls went next and they both were reluctant at first and got very emotional. It was a very nice class. I was proud of my students. They are really progressing.

I got a call from Max today. He was returning my call from Yesterday. I called Spence for his birthday. We had a really nice conversation. I love my kids. I think all your prayers for them are working.

I’m going to cut this short. Thanks for your support.

No comments: