Monday, June 15, 2009

A near perfect no...lets say ideal...life

I’ve been on quite a good run lately.  Im a pretty fortunate guy.  Other than the emotional department, I’m living a pretty darn good life.  I’m very appreciative of it, especially considering the depths of despair I climbed out of the past three years.  But what rings in my head is the vision that I had sitting across from the South African and his wife a few months ago when he had the look of panic in his face, but was gripping onto his wife’s hand.  He had just lost his job, had his bank account frozen, and his credit cards cancelled.  All in the span of a day.  Now he had 30 days to figure out if he was moving back to South Africa, with no money, and having to pack up a house full of stuff, or stay in Bahrain and find another position in the midst of the recession.  I looked at him, and I don’t think he really grasped it.  I said Casper, (he said I could use his name) I know you are in a sense of stunned panic right now.  You probably feel like your world is caving in.  But you have a lovely wife sitting by your side holding your hand.  I have a secure and great job, popularity, and a great future, I’d trade places with you in a heartbeat.  What you have money just can’t buy.  I was absolutely sincere.  As you remember everything turned out fine for Casper and his wife.  Two weeks later they found out they were pregnant, and a week after they left for a great job in one of the nicest/resort areas of South Africa.  God totally was directing his steps.  What was cool is that God used me in that situation to help Casper make sure he stayed focused.  I was a little worried about going out on a limb with Texas Girl yesterday.  I chatted with her to make sure she wasn’t offended by what I had to say.  She told me no, and she cried.  Crap!!! I made someone else cry?  No it was a good cry she assured me.  What that told me is that the words that God had for me for her…were 100% on the mark.  Im so honored to be used of God that way.  So that gets me back to my life.  Yes, I’m living a good life, but its still a little bit empty.  Im on an amazing adventure.  But its just not the same without that special someone to share it with.  Ideally, I’d love my kids, but that isn’t an option at this point.  So someday, I’m going to meet that girl.  And if I keep going with my faith (Seek First the Kingdom stuff) Then the perfect day…could very well turn into a perfect life.  So right now, it’s a mostly perfect life.  I count my blessings.  Because three years ago, I was convinced I would never be happy again.  My how things change. 

Now I know this all sound Pie in the Sky and Pollyannaish.  But that’s who I am.  I can honestly say there times and moments in Los Angeles when I was still married and the kids were younger that I experienced this “perfect life.”, and I experienced it often.  Well…I experienced it when I was employed, which was about half the time during the LA years.  I really thought I was living a perfect life, beautiful wife, healthy beautiful kids (my kids were involved with commercials, tv and film, so it wasn’t just the proud father talking).  Then I experienced it in Oklahoma, Taiwan, and Saudi Arabia.  I think that is how God designed life to be.  When you live your life right, you really get the desires of your heart.  I’ve been fortunate that most every job I’ve had for the last 15  years I’ve absolutely loved.  So that helps too.  So when I had this “perfect life” taken away from me.  That’s why it was so devastating.  Now that I feel like Im getting back again.  Im very happy about that.  But the icing on the cake will be when I fall in love again.  You longtime readers know, I fall in love at the drop of hat, which isn’t too healthy or rational or normal.  I think it’s a consequence from my woundedness of the divorce.  But fortunately for me.  God has protected me from potentially bad emotional situations.  God is indeed directing my steps. 

Now I sitting here waiting to see if anyone will show up for my Positive Living group.  I’ve had a bunch of people tell me that can’t come.  Am I discouraged, no.  I do have three bags of food from Steak Escape for dinner in case anyone does show up.  If they don’t.  Im going to enjoy a great meal by myself…and a marathon session of LOST.  Im a winner either way.  I think that is how God designed it to be. 

Addendum…as soon as I wrote that last line, I had four people walk in the door all at once.  So I served American Food tonight, which consisted of Cheesesteak sandwiches.  So a new guy came, lets call him Professor Harlem.  He’s an older guy that is turning out to be one of my good friends.  We have a lot in common.  He worked in the film industry in New York, and he worked at Aramco the year before I got there.  We have the same mutual friends.  Plus we are doing the acting classes out of the university where he teaches.  He was also on the creative team of Schoolhouse Rock if you remember that.  I’ve always been a huge fan of that.   Professor Harlem (ok…he’s from Harlem too) came last week and stayed for the food, but had to leave because of an appointment.  This week he came had a great time, but when it came time to watch the Osteen video, he was a little taken aback.  I could tell he was uncomfortable.  He said…is this religious?  In our conversations thus far, he’s made it clear he’s no fan of religion.  So he felt uneasy but stayed all the same.  It turns out that two of the girls had watched the DVD before.  I felt bad, I’ve seen them all since I went to that church for so many years.  But I’ve forgotten who has watched which video since we have different people come each week.    But I think it was providence that we watched it again.  Both girls said they were glad because they watched at different places in their lives and they needed to hear the message again.  They got different things out of it this time.  But Professor Harlem was the most excited.  He kept thanking me and telling me how much he enjoyed it.  He wound up taking some pamphlets, a CD series and a DVD series.  I think God spoke to him.  His body language when he left was totally different then when the video started.  You know what the great thing is.  I didn’t have to say the “J” word (Jesus) once.  The Holy Spirit did all the work.  I just made myself available and he spoke to people tonight.  Man, I like this life.  

No comments: