Saturday, June 6, 2009

Staying afloat...when your lead doesn't show up

So I got up early on Saturday anxious to try my hand at the kayak again.  I wanted to go first thing in the morning.  The problem was my body wasn’t cooperating.  I had a very low blood sugar.  Going out into the Gulf with a low blood sugar would not be a very good idea.  So I jammed down some breakfast first at my favorite Mexican spot.  The waiter said, I read your article in the paper yesterday sir.  Really? I thought it was supposed to be a small article announcing the success of the last acting class and the upcoming day long seminars.  So I flipped open the paper, and we had the small article written about us.  I was kind of impressed, a. he read the paper, b. he recognized my name and what I do.  It got my day off to a good start.  So after breakfast I headed to the Gulf.  This time, there were no Filipinos being baptized.  Just me and the water.  So I hopped it and didn’t fall out…not once.  It was still pretty grueling.  I just had no idea how much physical exertion kayaking really is.  I guess its especially difficult with the current.  But I wanted a good work out, and I got it.  The good thing is that my kayak fits conveniently in the car if I lay the front passenger seat down.  Its easy.  That’s what I like about it.  It’s a lot more fun than lifting weights. 

So we had our movie to shoot for the kids class today.  The kids were so excited they had been practicing for weeks.  They all brought costumes and wardrobe.  We only had two hours to shoot the entire thing, so I knew it would be tight.  We were also shooting it in a mall.  So there was the wildcard about getting stopped by security of having passerby’s ruin the takes.  So like most things here, If I were to ask permission, it probably would have taken 3-4 weeks to process and only then it’s a 50-50 chance of them approving.  So I took the theory, its easier to ask forgiveness than permission.  Fortunately, we got away with it.  Everyone was quite amused and entertained by our production.  The kids came up with the idea.  A couple of girls go shopping for a Zombies to do their homework and chores.  Its really cute.  So we were ready to shoot, and the twins didn’t show up.  Ughh…..This was the only day we could shoot this, and one of the twins was the co-lead.  So we had to recast and rewrite the script on the fly…or in my head.  The kids were good sports about it.  We waited an extra 30 minutes for the girls to show up, so we were actually down to a 90 min. shooting time.  The pressure was on.  I didn’t have the luxury of time to be diplomatic with the kids…so I got into “Director” mode, where I become extremely focused and not too patient.  I haven’t seen the footage yet, but the performances I got out of the children were very very good.  I was quite proud.  When they started out they were too shy to even stand up on stage and say their name, now we’re running around the mall like they are movie stars.  It was quite rewarding.  I think I’m a very good teacher. 

Then we had the teen and the adults give it a try.  They did very well in their scenes.  They are all kind of sad its coming to an end next week.  We have all grown quite close to each other.  After the class we went out to eat as a group to a restaurant…sandwich place.  The guy behind the counter, whom I haven’t seen before, said…you are in a magazine.  I responded Yes.  He said…Mr…..Rick……Beeman.  I was shocked.  I hadn’t been in a magazine since March, and how did he remember my name?  It made me feel good…twice in one day.  I needed the encouragement. 

Im so addicted to LOST.  I think I watched 12 hours this weekend.  For a guy that doesn’t watch TV that is a lot.  I think its one of the best dramas I’ve seen.  Plus, I have three seasons to catch up with.  I just cried like a baby all weekend long.  I think I’m more emotionally connected to this series because of the back storylines.  All the stories of infidelity really get to me.  Its like an emotional uppercut.  Plus the whole idea of LOST, I relate to in a very powerful way.  In a way…since my divorce, I’ve lived on an emotional desert island…with no one around to save or rescue me.  That’s why the first few people that land emotionally on my island, I pounce on… as I have well documented this.  I just have to be patient…the rescue plane is coming…some day.  

No comments: