Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Waiting is the Hardest Part

Wouldn’t you know it. As soon as I get into my rhythm of teaching, the classes are coming to an end. Im actually kind of melancholy about it. Even the children I think I’m going to miss. I had one of the mom’s come up to me today. She said, 17 screaming children (well they weren’t screaming just then) I don’t know how you do it. The kids are very excited when they get to class so I can’t really blame them. Every week they make this thing of requesting what color shirt I wear the following week. They all have votes. So we made a game, and last week I had them give an impromptu speech of what I should wear and why. They gave me all the colors of the rainbow as requests. So I wore the secret weapon. I have this absolutely hideous multi-color fluorescent Hawaiian shirt of my father’s from the 60’s. When I say this is the worst thing ever created in terms of fashion, its not an exaggeration. The thing almost looks like you need to plug it in to recharge it. Both my parents and X (when I was married) tried to throw it away multiple times. But this thing is so hideous it’s a classic. So I walked into teach the class today and the kids went bananas. Then what really surprised me is that Tanya actually loved the shirt. She thought it was really sharp. I guess its so bad it transcends. Perhaps its also been a so many years it might has come back in style. Then for the rest of the day as soon as people see me, their eyes widen in disbelief. Mr. Blackwell (whom once chastised me for my attire—which quite flattered me) would be spinning in his grave. But after the shock lessens, they actually kind of like it. I’ll try to post a picture of it tomorrow.

I had grown especially fond of my teen class. They have such big dreams in their eyes. For someone to look at them and say I believe in you. That means the world to them. My friend Mr. Harlem, who has observed me teaching gave me an incredible compliment the other night. He said I was like the pied piper in those kid’s eyes. Everywhere I moved their eyes would follow me in admiration. They would do anything I would ask he said.. That is a great responsibility. It is also an incredible opportunity to subtly share my faith through action with these kids. Since this is a public forum in a Muslim country, I have to be very careful about proselytizing. But everyone who knows me, knows where I stand.

It’s with the adults that the most bonding has occurred. We have about 7 regulars. I think they are genuinely saddened that they aren’t going to see each other every week. What is amazing is the bond that had grown in just 2.5 months. What is nice is that I can see the confidence grow in each and every student. Not just acting confidence but overall self-confidence. Some improve a little but most improve a lot. Boy, I love what I do. We had a full page article written about us in the paper today. It helps when you give the editor two free scholarships ;o) It was very positive coverage. What we are doing is good work, now we just have to keep focused on the cash flow side of things.

I got all finished up with LOST last night…kind of. I burned through Season Four. I guess I don’t have that much of a social life to be able to watch four seasons, or 96 hours worth in 5 weeks. Wow…that is kind of sad isn’t. I don’t really feel lacking in the friends department. There usually is always a party of three that I’m invited to. But I was having this talk with God today. I’m tired of being alone. Im ready for a relationship. I have many many many friends that happen to be of the opposite sex. But I’m just so dang picky. Perhaps even too much so. Im pretty certain I could go out and meet someone tomorrow, but I want that person to be God’s best. Im holding out for that to happen. I would rather do that than settle. Thus I guess I have to learn to be patient when all I want to do is scream out…Hurry Up God. I know the verse in Isaiah, “Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” I feel like I’ve been waiting on the Lord for the last four years now. I know this seems like quite a contradiction to last night’s blog, where I extolled the virtues of “Seek First” and everything will work itself out. But I get weary sometimes. I also believe its ok to cry out to God and say, you know what..I’m weary. He understands. He made us for relationship. So that’s what I’ve been doing today. I’ve been talking to God saying, Im sick of being alone…can you hurry up please? I did this respectfully certainly not in defiance. God knows where Im coming from. He desires to be our friend, so that is how I was speaking. I try to be pretty transparent on the blog. Im not perfect. I hope my words don’t imply that I am above or beneath anyone. But I also think its important for Christians to show their vulnerability. How else are we going to reach out to the rest of the world. If we take this air of superiority I think that puts too much distance between us and the people we are trying to reach. Rather if I’m honest about my flaws, I think people think, hey that’s just like me, I go through that too. I think that opens us up to be more influential, by being real. So here Goes. I know God has a plan for my life, and I’m living out a pretty wonderful dream life as it is. But I long to be married again to have a family. That’s my pain that I have to endure. That is where I have to trust God. Its like do I believe part of the Bible or all of it. If I believe all of it, then I do know that whatever happens will be for my good. The hard part is the waiting.

No comments: