Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Anger...what a strange emotion

I rarely get angry and hardly ever lose my temper. I think I’ve lost it three times in my lifetime and I can’t even remember why I was angry. I think I get that from my father as he is very even tempered as well. Thank God I didn’t take after my mother that way (she’ll read this and get angry at that.) Kristen got all of that. So I think I must have been under some sort of test today because there were many things that happened that just got on my nerves. I think I must have passed the test as I didn’t lose my cool and reacted calmly and rationally some of the time. The first issue happened at work with two co-workers. I suspected something was up. I don’t want to get into details but their actions made me angry. When they got into the office we all talked it out. I think they were quite concerned that I was angry and they wanted to tackle it head on. It was very responsible for them to do so. I think they were kind of surprised to see me so bothered.

The next item is kind of a long story. I bought an old fashioned candy machine for the office. We filled it up with Jelly Bellies. Its pretty popular. I can’t keep the machine filled fast enough. The employees keep gobbling them down. I should probably activate the coin lever and start making money off these people. I bought five huge bags of jelly bellies to keep the machine full. I also bought for myself two big bags of Sugar Free (Im a diabetic) Buttered Popcorn and Very Cherry Jelly Bellies for myself. You can’t order these online. They are only available in bulk from the factory store.

So Khalifa wanted to know if I could order another candy dispenser for the office so he could give that machine to his granddaughter. He’s the boss, how can I tell him no? As Mel Brooks said it so deftly in History of the World Part One “It’s good to be the King.” So yesterday while he was at the wake for his father, he informed Simi he needed the dispenser wrapped and sent to his granddaughter. So instead of taking the bags of jelly bellies on my shelf, they took the sugar free ones from my desk to fill the machine. These are really expensive and just not accessible to me over here. So I looked for my jelly bellies today. I have this routine, like Rainman, I take two buttered popcorn jelly bellies and two cherry jelly bellies once in the morning and once in the afternoon. So that’s 8 a day. I figured I had enough jelly bellies to last a year. Plus I had delicious Jelly Belly candy corns on my desk for insulin reactions. So Im looking for my Jelly Bellies and I couldn’t find them. I asked Simi if she knew what happened to them. She said yes, she took them off my desk and she filled them up in the machine and gave them to Khalifa’s granddaughter. The party was yesterday so the beans are long gone. I looked over to my shelf and said…why didn’t you take those? I explained the situation to her. She felt really bad and was apologizing profusely. I know its only Jelly Beans, but its probably going to be a year or two before I can get back to the factory in Fairfield, CA to stock up again. I felt my blood pressure rising. I just pointed to the door. I said its ok Simi…just go. So before I could really react and get angry…I calmed down. I guess it’s the principle of the matter. The crew has a tendency, that whenever Khalifa asks for anything they just react, and don’t think. He’s the boss, he deserves the respect, but he’s also a very reasonable man. They just don’t think sometimes. That’s what got me angry. These non-thinking mistakes have happened before. They are just jelly beans. I have to keep telling myself.

Then I was meeting a friend for dinner. I told the friend I was going to be 30 minutes late, but I told her a few hours before so that wasn’t a big deal. On the way there, I was stopped by a royal family entourage. When that happens the police block the roads so the royals don’t have to wait in traffic. I was sitting still in my car for 25 minutes. Again…starting to get angry. Finally I get to dinner. I tell the waiter my order three tiger praws and clam chowder. He repeats the order…I said no…I wanted three tiger prawns not five. So he repeats it again..5 tiger prawns. No, I want three…OK…three tiger prawns. I had him repeat it twice. So what did I have for dinner…five tiger prawns.

It was just one of those days. Im calm now. Its just different, the feeling of anger coming over me…especially when it has nothing to do with X. Its just such foreign emotion to me. Im not sure if I passed the test or not…but I didn’t lose it. Im glad this day is over…however.

No comments: