Thursday, December 11, 2008

Female Photographers and a struggling comedian...

A cool day overall.  It was a really weird week.  We worked the first day of the week, had three days off for Eid, then worked the last day of the week.  I don’t really need a weekend, but I’ll take one.  With my title and position, I’m always working anyways.  Even when im out socializing, its all networking opportunities. 

It turns out December is going to be a very good month financially for KSDI even though it has all the holidays.  The bread and butter of the company for years has been its wedding video service.  (Im going to change that in time).  But one of the things about most Arab weddings is that they are all females.  Usually the only male in the bunch is the groom.  So that means we can’t use our normal crew, instead we have to use an all female crew.  When we have two weddings on the same day that are both all female, it sometimes proves to be a challenge to find enough competent freelance women to cover both events.  Such is the case next Friday with two weddings.  My solution was to dress Manoj and Saji our editors in abayas and send them.  When someone mentioned their mustaches would give them away, I jokingly replied, not if it’s a full veil where all you can see is the eyes.  It made sense to me, but no one wears abayas at Arabic weddings.  This is the chance for Arabic women to put on their nicest gown and socialize.  Women in this culture have very few opportunities to experience true freedom like they do at weddings.   We got a call to do a wedding for a Sheikha’s son (female member of the royal family) Simi tried to talk her out of us coming to her house so she arranged for the Sheikha to come into the office.  I told Simi, our receptionist…hmmmm a chance to go to royal palace or meet in my office…I’ll choose the royal palace. 

A group of us went to hear a comedian named Russell Peters tonight.  Tickets were quite expensive.  The cheap general admission seats were $65.  Mo Loch had organized a group of us to go, so I was able to meet even more friends.  This Russell Peters is apparently pretty famous, though I’ve never heard of him.  We don’t get a lot big acts come to Island, so any alternative entertainment is a welcome change.  Peter’s act was OK, most people though hated it.  Peters is an Indian that crew up in French Canada.  So the majority of his act was talking about different cultures.  His take on the America and their impressions of the Middle East were spot on, and hilarious.  But many of the Arabs didn’t get the humor.  There were too many diverse cultures in the large hall for Peters to connect, so he struggled a bit.  Still it was good entertainment, just not sure if it was worth the $65. 

After the concert, The Romanian texted me, and wanted me to meet her and her friend at Trader Vic’s at the Ritz Carlton.  I did and I met even more interesting people.  This time it was a gaggle of Germans.  Again they couldn’t understand why I didn’t drink.  Like there was something wrong with me.  Yet the more I don’t partake in alcohol, the more I think its right for me to abstain in this period of my life.  While I believe that drinking in moderation is not a sin, excessive drinking can lead to a lot problems. 

It’s 2:15 am now, and im falling asleep while writing this.  So I should cut this off early.  Im getting up in six hours to go to the “white people” church.  

No comments: