Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Trying to cancel the New Year

Many people were very disappointed today.  The Gulf Coast Countries (the countries the border the Persian gulf, or the Arab nations) decided to cancel all the new year’s festivities out of respect for the conflict in Gaza where so many people have lost their lives.  So that means no alcohol and no clubs.  This is a BIG deal here in Bahrain where drinking and clubbing is so engrained in their culture.  The proclamation came down from the King through the news and the internet kind of like in the same fashion of an emergency broadcast signal.  Many people were quite upset about the turn of events. 

I went to a house party at Armand’s and Oz’s house.  It was great fun.  They had the place really decorated well and the music was blaring.  There probably was 60-70 people there.  So it was a great chance to meet even more people.  The house parties are a little quieter than clubs so its easier to communicate with people.  My hearing sucks as it is, I’m not a good dancer..I don’t drink, I don’t smoke  (I sound like an Adam Ant song) that’s why I don’t like clubs.  But house parties are much milder.  Others thought was  still strange that I didn’t drink.  I get responses like “Why not”  “I wish I were like you”  “I would have saved so much money last year if I didn’t drink.”  So people are intrigued by my choice not to drink and that usually opens up doors to talk about my faithi. 

I met some really interesting people at the party.  I got there early enough to meet them when they weren’t all the way hammered yet.  It was cool…now I’m being introduced by friends to their other friends.  “They say that…I want you to meet this guy, he’s really important to you.

There are a lot people that believe in me right now….Im so drifiting so Im going to cut this short.  Its 2:20 am. Im not even going to proofread it, so if there a mistakes, I apologize already.  I’ve already fallen asleep three time while writing this.   Good night…and Happy New Year.  

3 comments:

twoprincessgirls said...

you're asleep now so you can't see all the WILD pics posted of you at the party!!! You are a dancin fool! Such a ladies man too! Ha! Ha! Seriously, I hope you have a VERY HAPPY HAPPY New Year and this is the best year you've had in a lot of them! Indeed it is a NEW one; a fresh start in so many ways! I loved the verse of the day on Facebook today, John 16:33: "I have told you these things, so that you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!" Kind of puts things in perspective. Just think of that anytime you feel overwhelmed. I'm in sort of a funk so I know I could use it today. Take care!

Anonymous said...

If you don't drink and don't smoke then what do you do?

Kristen

Rick Beeman said...

Subtle innuends follow
There must be something inside