Sunday, December 21, 2008

Disappearance and the Dentist

Interesting day today.  I say that a lot don’t I?  Well most of the days are interesting.  I wore a tie into work today because I had a meeting.  Most of the time, I dress smart casual, which is slacks, nice pair of shoes, and a dress shirt.  So I’m in my office early and Simi, our wonderful Indian office manager came into my office and jumped because the tie startled her.  She wasn’t used to seeing me like that.  It was pretty funny. 

So I had been working on a project with a difficult client.  He was a “I have to have it by yesterday” type.  So I finished a project for him in three days and it was a lot of work to do it.  Then I didn’t hear from him for three weeks.  We spoke last week, and he said he was moving on to a different company.  So his boss’ boss, the GM calls me and wants to set up a meeting as quickly as possible.  So we go over there and one of the first thing he asks…why isn’t our project completed and why did you miss the deadlines?  Wha????????   I wanted to point to the guy in the middle and say…because that guy, your employee wouldn’t return my phone calls….But I refrained…I stammered and came up with an excuse.  So we decided to leave the water under the bridge and move on from there.  I think I get an A for diplomacy and I hope the guy in the middle appreciates that I didn’t throw him under the bus…as much as I wanted to do so. 

While in the meeting I got a text from a girl I met at church.  We visited at the Christmas banquet.  I was surprised she texted me, because I never gave her my number.  She said she got it from a friend.  She invited me and a few others out to drinks at Upstairs Downstairs.  That is one of the nicest restaurants in Bahrain, where I won the free dinner and took Romanian #1. So after work, I meet her and apparently her friends couldn’t make it.  That’s OK…I wanted just to talk to her anyway.  The Dentist…as will be her monicker, is British, but grew up in Bahrain, her dad is a pilot.  This girl is super smart, a real intellectual.  She quit being a dentist in order to go to medical school, which she is halfway through.  She took a break to move from England back home to Bahrain.  By the way…she is really pretty too.

So we just had a really nice night chatting.  Last night at the party, I met George, a great guy who happens to be one of the Owner’s of the restaurant.  I had one of the wait staff go get him.  He joined us for drinks and visited with us for about 30 minutes.  That’s the type of island it is here.  So open and so friendly.  He bought us our next round of drinks.  And gave us a private tour of the Grand Palace Suite in his restaurant, where it’s luxury in style.  This place is a six star restaurant. 

So the dentist and I had some pretty intense conversations.  A real heart to heart Im sure she was not prepared for.  It was a cool feeling…Im certain the Holy Spirit was speaking through me to encourage her.  Its nice when you have the words and you know that you are being used specifically by God.  We chatted for nearly two and half hours.  It was really nice.  We’re supposed to meet up again on Friday for dinner and a movie.  I told her I had to take her to “Ghost Town” which is a film about a discontented dentist.  It was neat, afterwards it was too late to get my run in, so I road the stationary bike instead.  While riding, I was listening to a Podcast of Charles Stanley, about being content in all circumstances.  The sermon was exactly for her.  Its not coincidence on the day we meet, I just so happen to hear a sermon specifically designed for her circumstances.  Once again, its very cool to know you are being used of God. 

I told the staff earlier in the day at our company meeting I was going to host a Christmas party in my apartment.  Its certainly large enough to do so.  I think that’s why God directed me to get such a huge nice place, so I could use my gift of hospitality.  Everyone got so excited about the party, especially the Filipino girls.  They just love a chance to get together to laugh and socialize.

 

Everyday…little by little…this place feels more like home…If I had my children…then I’d already be home.  

No comments: