Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Twas the Night before Christmas in Bahrain

Twas the night before Christmas and all through the villa

Not a creature was stirring except my bro Abdullah

The sandals were hung by the space heater with care

In hopes that Kareem Claus would soon be there

The children were nestled all snug in their beds

While visions of Falafells danced in their heads

I in my thobe and Mamma in her abaya

Had just fallen asleep by the imaginary fire

When out in the yard there arose a great matter

I sprang from the bed to see if a Filipino was causing the clatter

Away to the window I flew like a flash

Tore open the mini blinds threw up the sash

I fell forward and chipped my tooth and the enamels

But then I saw a sleigh and 8 tiny camels

With a tiny little driver smelling so good and clean

I knew in a moment it must be St. Kareem

Now Ahmad, Now Hassan, Now Ibrahim, Now Amir,

On Jamal, On Khalil, On Omar, On Yassir

To the top of villa, to the top of restraining wall

Now dash away, dash away, dash away all

And then in twinkiling I heard on the roof

The prancing and pawing of each camel hoof

Down through the maid’s quarters Kareem Claus came with a bound

He must have had lots of arabic coffee cause his feet didn’t hit the ground

He was dressed all in camel fur from his head to his foot

And his thobe wasn’t tarnished with ashes and soot

His eyes how they twinkled his dimples did glisten

His cheeks were like roses, his nose like persimmon

And the thickness under his nose with a big mustache

And beard of his chin was black like the ash

He had a thin face and no real belly

He must have taken a bath because he wasn’t so smelly

He was thin, and skinny a right jolly old muslim

I laughed when I saw him it wasn’t a whim

With a glare from his eye and a swivel of his head

Soon let me know that I hand nothing to dread

He spoke not a word but went straight to his work

And filled all the sandals then turned with a jerk

And laying a finger on the side of nose

And giving a nod and through the maid’s quarters he rose

He sauntered to his sleigh getting ready to split

And his camels got ready to fly after a good spit

I heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight

Eid Mubarak, Happy Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and Feliz Navidad and to all a good night….

No comments: