Thursday, April 30, 2009

The color of my skin.

I slept in a bit today.  I do that after I teach classes.  I had a full day set up in the office.  I went over everything with Nader.  He’s under a lot of pressure with the banking crisis still.  The fact that we are doing so well at KSDi reassures him.  Deep down, I think he longs to quit his banking job and come work for us full time.  But he’s making far too much money at the Bank right now.  We are still about 12-18 months away from really being able to afford him. 

There is a lot of buzz being generated with my improv comedy contest “The Funniest Person in Bahrain.”  We are running it in conjunction with FACT magazine so that will give us really good press.  The first event is supposed to take place on May 19.  That’s going to be tight for me…because I may have to fly back to the U.S. for a legal hearing with my former employer.  That’s going to suck if I have to do that.  But It’s the principle of the thing Im fighting.  For the improv contest, I have selected 10 very talented and funny comic actors.  Some of them are from my class and some are professional comics.  We are going to do a live presentation like Who’s line is it anyway.  I’ll be the M.C./Drew Carey.  I think its going to be big because Bahrain has never done this type of thing before.  Its nice being a part of something that is groundbreaking.  I am doing a lot of “first” things on this island. I guess its good because I don’t know what should or shouldn’t be done…so I go ahead and do it.  Thus far, I’m having pretty good results.  April/May is turning out to be a couple of great months for us.  We are really busy.  We are also establishing ourselves as the “premiere” production company on the Island, especially in regards to the royal family. 

I got a call this morning on my way to work.  A sheikh wants to meet with me next week about doing a documentary on the history of shipping in Bahrain.  That could be a huge contract for us.  I met this sheikh two weeks ago and we hit it off.  Im very fortunate.  Khalifa and I were talking about perception and the color of skin.  It has taken him 50 years to be accepted by his own people for his merits.   He mentioned I had some of that same influence after six months because of the color of my skin and my American accent.  I still never realized Americans have accents…but we do.  I made it into the office and worked on the J.P. Cormier biography.  That was put on the shelf, as I was waiting for one J.P.s best friends to help me place the music in the biography.  It’s a full length biography, but I also interspersed JP’s concert footage with was fabulous to make a feature length concert film.  It’s pretty unique.  I think its going to be very very good.  I just have to add the B-roll now and its ready to go. 

We had two new clients come in for an already busy month.  We found out that the brilliant Graphic Artist/Computer Animator Manu can create 3D graphic for architectural drawings and layouts.  That is a huge weapon to have in our arsenal.  So overall I think the future is looking very very bright.  God is faithful. 

The church that I attend cannot meet in the school tomorrow for the regularly scheduled service.  There is some type of event there.  So they are dividing up the church in home groups.  Im hosting a group.  It will be interesting to see how many people show up for it.  

No comments: