Tuesday, April 21, 2009

wiped out

I am wiped out.  I had such a busy day full of meetings.  It was mentally taxing and ultimately physically exhausting.  But it was all good.  Did my morning routine and was very busy with the day to day stuff of the office.  I have so many big projects I need to undertake as a writer-producer, but my GM day to day duties always seem to take away from that.  When I am creative I have to get into a flow.  If something interrupts that flow…im done for the day and I have to try it tomorrow.  Its strange thing as I try to engage the creativity of my brain.  I just can’t force myself.  I have to work up to it.  I know that makes me sound like a prima donna, but its just how the creative part of my brain works.  I often tell my students that you can train your brain when to be creative, but it takes a lot of work and a lot of consistency.  With me…I could probably train myself, but it would take me three weeks.  Its more efficient for me just to get into the flow and the mindset.  For example, for my documentary next week I have to cut, I’ll need to start fresh Sun. morning (first day of the week) and simply devote my morning to it.  Once I get it started, its much easier to complete.  The task of the journey of a thousand miles starting with the single step, is mine.  The issue is that first single step. 

 

I had a three hour meeting with Nader and Khalifa.  It was pretty intense but all good.  We finally signed the contract to sell the pictures to the Gallery.  Khalifa was protecting them like they were his children, and I can understand that.  He has been robbed before in the creative realm so that naturally makes him a little gun shy.  But he is trusting me by handing it over to me.  The Gallery is very excited about getting the images.  They are ready to mass market them.  It’s a great thing for KSDi.  We also talked a lot about other business.  It was nice conversing with the father and son.  Khalifa really enjoys and is proud of his children.  Its nice to see.  There is a genuine respect amongst all of us.  They like what Im doing with the company.  They are tough with me and have high expectations.  I think I respond to those expectations well. 

Had another meeting at 6 with Guy and Dinah, who was originally going to host the Acting School at her theater until the Government told her she could lose her nursery school license if she used her theater for another educational event.  It was a technicality and a power play.  But we are still really close.  It was nice to brainstorm with her.  She wants to start another filmmaking camp for her kids (she ran a camp last year).  She wants to talk about KSDi running it.  Before she used to fly directors down from the U.K.  to operate the camp.  But now that I’m here she can save the travel expense.  These classes are the sort of thing I taught in No. Ca last year. 

Finally and most importantly, my new friend Rosanna from the Ministry of Social Development arranged me to have a talk in front of representative from 15 different NGO’s (Bahrain’s version of a non-profit agency).  I showed them my projects and explained how they could have the same impact for their organization by investing in video.  Many of them had never considered making a video before this.  They were all very interested and excited.  It was a good contact to make. 

Im very tired and worn out…but I feel this sense of duty.  Keep in mind it’s a self-imposed sense of duty to post in this blog every night.  Like my exercise routine, im afraid if I miss a night I’ll miss two, then three.  So that’s why I keep going.  I don’t have internet in the building right now, so I’ll have to go to a coffee shop and access their wifi.  Before I came over the Lord spoke to my heart and wanted me to write a book.  I think my coping skills I’ve picked up over the last 3-4 years are pretty powerful.  I would like to share those skills with others, and that is why I write this blog, to encourage others to stay on the positive, no matter what.  I wonder if this blog will turn into a book?   I wonder if anyone will be interested in reading it?

No comments: