Saturday, April 25, 2009

F1 and the Four Wives (Pics below)

What a great day and I still feel rested.  Last night I was trying to hit three parties and wound up only hitting one.  It was a good one.  It was at Aqua Fuego, which is owned by a guy that is becoming a close friend and a business associate.  We will be hosting our “Funniest Person in Bahrain/live Improv contest there.”  This was an invitation only event.  So I was hobnobbing with some pretty important people.  One guy in particular I spent most of the night talking to.  He is the owner of a production company that does some pretty exclusive work in Bahrain.  He’s very well financed.  So we hit it off and we’re going to try to get together in the coming weeks to see if we can come up with something to work on.  It was yet again another divine appointment.  I met a lot of different people at this particular party.  What was cool about it, most of them were my age in their 30’s and 40’s.  Most of my social network here are in their 20’s.  Its nice when I can talk to big kids my age.  I left the party at 12, midnight and had time to still go over to the other big exclusive party.  I had a media ticket since my crew was covering the event.   But I figured I’d pace myself.  So I came home chatted with a few dear friends and went to bed. 

I got up early the next day to go to the F1 qualifying races.  The big day is tomorrow.  But since the ticket was so expensive, I thought I should try to get my money’s worth out of it.  There was just a lot of spectacle at the race track.  Its really the biggest weekend of the year here in Bahrain.  There was so much to see.  I brought some work along with me.  Since I’m only working a ½ day tomorrow because Im going to the race, I felt compelled to work a little today.  For me its not about quantity of time worked, its quality.  I got a lot done in an hour.  But I had to leave the race early in order to go teach the acting classes.  I actually was so well prepared for classes they were great.  I had a lot of energy and the kids really learned a lot.  I was also jazzed up for the adults, but the problem was…most of them missed.  I guess I should have known to cancel the classes on an F1 weekend.  I had only 5 of the 15 come.  Oh well…everyone paid up front.  It was very valuable for the 5 since it was almost a private lesson.

Oh I forgot to tell you.  In Fuddrucker’s at lunch (A fuddrucker’s lunch before I teach is now kind of a ritual…they know me).  I saw a Muslim with four wives.  They were all in a booth with about three children.  They all were in abayas and veils.  They veils make it extremely complicated to eat as they have to place the food under the veil lift it up slightly with their other hand and eat.  Having multiple wives is not as common here as you’d think.  According to Sharia (Koran law) all wives must be treated equally.  Thus when you buy one a Fuddruckers hamburger you buy four.  Buy one a ring, buy four, buy one a house, buy four.  As you can see it can get expensive and problematic so most Muslims don’t bother.  Unless you are royalty and/or very rich you can’t afford it.  For the personal hassles…you’re on your own.  You know…Islam and Mormonism are very similar but that’s a blog for another day.  So this guy I saw eating with his wives must have been extremely wealthy.  All those people eating a simple lunch in Fuddruckers’ must have set him back at least $100.  Try doing that everyday twice a day. 

So I’ll cut this short again.  Im heading to the office early, moving up our staff meeting then heading to the race track for the big race.  Look for me on ESPN tomorrow.  And when you see the media outlets that mention Bahrain…you can tell everyone…hey I know someone that lives there…and he personally invited me to come for a vacation.  

No comments: