Sunday, April 26, 2009

Amazing Day and Night at F1

Wow…what an amazing amazing day it was.  It was the day of the Grand Prix.  It’s a work day (officially) but most of the island takes today and tomorrow off…tomorrow is to recover.  Its 1:30 am right now…on a work day, and I have an early morning meeting but im still on a buzz.  I got into the office and I pushed up our morning meeting to 10 am.  These meetings are very helpful with the morale of the company and communication as we grow.  Before I came on board, they never had meetings.  So this is a step in the right direction.  The benefits are being found with our increased efficiency and teamwork.  After the meeting I got a few things done, that had to get done then I was off to the race track.  It was packed.  There were so many people there.  Its certainly the event of the year as far as Bahrain is concerned.  I saw Richard Branson of Virgin Fame, which was kind of cool.  The world loves F1 racing almost as much soccer.  Yet it hasn’t made an impact in the U.S.  F1 internationally…comparatively speaking is bigger than Nascar in the South.  You can compare it to the Indy 500 with open wheel racing…but its not an oval track with only left turns.  Over the course of the weekend the event drew over 93,000 fans.  This is quite significant when you factor in the entire population of Bahrain being 700,000.  That’s quite an influx of people over the weekend.  There was so much energy and excitement. 

As far as the race goes…I didn’t really get it.  It was hard to follow the cars and see who was in first place after all the cars spread out.   It was cool hearing the cars roar around the track at 200 mph.  I had to wear earplugs…everybody did.  If you didn’t…your ears would just ache, it could actually be damaging.  Your body just shook as the cars screamed by you.  It was quite an experience.  There is a lot of science and precision that goes into racing.  It’s a mixture of sports, science and engineering.  I wasn’t an F1 fan before the race..and am not necessarily one now.  But I do have a better appreciation for it.

After the race I came home and worked out.  Then it was off to a pre-party at Mo’s place.  Mo is my good friend from earlier in the blog.  I havent’ been to a party of his in quite sometime.  He’s very well connected with Gulf Air and other social groups.  There were sooooo many beautiful girls there.  The way Gulf Air hires their flight attendants, they could easily get sued for discrimination in the U.S.  They hire young and beautiful attendants.  The cream of the crop all seemed to be at Mo’s party.  I guess I am getting a little popular.  I knew most everyone there and was absolutely comfortable in my own skin.  I didn’t drink again, but many of them did.  Then we were off to the main party.  It was the official Post-F1 wrap party.  This is the party of the year at the Coral Beach club on the water.  It was gigantic, there must have been 5000 people there all drinking and partying.  The drinking thing again didn’t interest me.  But we went to a private VIP area hosted by my new good friend Fadi.  Fadi is an extremely successful insurance man from Palestine.  He was very generous and made sure everyone in his party was well taken care of.  He asked me what I was drinking…the standard Diet Coke I told him.  Within moments there was a six pack of diet coke for me.  I could get very spoiled with this lifestyle.  The interesting thing about these clubs and parties I attend, there are always people I network with that become clients.  In addition to Fadi, I met two other guys that are probably going to use KSDi’s services.  Its just more examples of God’s favor with divine appointments.  I left the party at 1am and there were still people coming in.  I have to work tomorrow so I couldn’t stay too long.  But it seemed that party will go on for another 3-4 hours.  It was simply a great day.    

No comments: