Monday, April 27, 2009

Rotary Club

I am sooooo tired.  F1 and the parties this weekend is catching up to me in a big way.  I keep telling myself I need to get in bed early and I rarely do.  Today was an activity filled big day.  I got to work..I slept in a late a little.  But hey…im the GM and I made some amazing and very profitable contacts at the party last night.  Plus, I was only 30 minutes late.  We had an early morning meeting which got cancelled and that allowed me time to catch up with all the little things.  I have to get the little things done, because I have a couple of big projects in the pipeline. 

I interviewed Tanya’s father in law today for our Legacy video biography series.  His name is Franz.  He’s a really interesting man.  He was in Holland during the German occupation in World War II.  His father was arrested and sent to a concentration camp from which he never returned.  Its amazing how the scars of his youth when he was just five years old have haunted him for a lifetime.  It affects who he is today even 60 years past the event.  Franz is a delightful man.  But as he was recalling his youth as a child with his mother and father he constantly was welling up with tears.  Normally I want tears when I do this, but for some reason..i wanted him to fight back the tears.  Im not really sure why.  Perhaps because he was already so haunted by the Nazi’s I wanted him not to be defined by that experience anymore. 

 

After the interview I headed back to the office where everyone wanted to talk to me for five minutes and I didn’t have the time spare.  I was invited by friend Hamid to speak the Adilya Rotary Club.  I was honored that they asked me speak.  I spoke about “The Misperception of Arabs and the Middle East from the vantage point of the average American and the steps we need to take to rectify that problem.  It sound dynamic doesn’t it?  It was a fun speech.  I didn’t really prepare.  Everything was shooting from the hip.  Yet I tell the same stories over and over again to so many different people, I kind of have it down by rote now.  So I spoke for about 20 minutes in front of Bahraini’s and expats.  It was a lot of fun.  I really had the spiel down and they all seemed to respond to it well.  Afterwards they asked a lot of insightful questions.   It was an honor to be asked and an honor to share.  Afterwards they gave a really nice framed certificate of appreciation.  It was very cool.  I think I got a lot of good business leads out of it as well. 

I have soooo much work to do this week.  I have this big project looming over my head with a deadline.  I just have to get in and get it down.  But so many little day to day things keep getting in the way.  Its hard for me to stay properly motivated. 

Please continue to pray for my kids…X is back putting pressure on them again.  I feel so bad, but if I try to defend or protect it just creates resistance and more conflict for them.  So in that way Im really in a no-win situation.   I just am so sick and tired of the conflict.  Every two weeks…some molehill is created out of a mountain.  You’d think with me not communicating with her she’s run out of molehills after awhile.  If Im next door there’s problems, if Im a few states away there’s problems, if im half a world away there’s problems and everything is my fault according to her perception. 

No comments: