Friday, April 24, 2009

Grand Prix tickets...woo-hoo!!!!

Im posting the blog a little bit early today.  Normally I do this as the last thing I do before I go to bed.  Thus some nights I find myself falling asleep in the middle of typing which is a bizarre thing indeed.  A lot has happened already and its still only 5:00 pm.  I woke up early to make it to church.  Afterwards Tanya invited with me her friends and family to the Dilmun Club for brunch.  The Dilmun club is like a country club without the golfing.  They have horse stables there which is kind of cool.  The brunch was fabulous, primarily because they had pork.  Now I didn’t eat that much pork in the U.S. but since its so hard to find here, I eat it every chance I get now.  Tanya’s friends were a nice dutch couple.  Aloes…I think his name is, is in the film industry.  He helps finance and distribute feature films.  He’s been doing this for 13 years.  He mainly focuses on the financial side and not necessarily the creative side.  Some of the films he worked on have been my favorites, including Hero, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and sooo many more. Leon was another one.  He mainly has been working with foreign films and isn’t it convenient that I’m a foreign film aficionado.  This is another case where it can’t just be a coincidence that we were eating together.  It certainly is a divine appointment.  His wife was nice too.  She runs an advertising agency.  We talked about ways we can work together.  I am starting to establish several strategic alliances with different companies as we are expanding.  When we don’t have the financial flexibility to add staff en masse, its more efficient to slowly establish these partnerships.  They help us, we help them…its all about the barter.  There are so many long term benefits I’m putting together for the company, but still I have to focus on the short term as well.  Im starting to feel a tremendous amount of pressure as I try to grow the company into financial flexibility.  I look at it like this metaphor.  When I came on board, I felt like I was boarding a sinking ship.  We had an influx of capital from Nader to fix the ship.  So now we are buoyant and the winds are starting to pick up.  The forecast for good sailing weather is excellent.  We are just now starting to pick up positive momentum forward, but we’re not moving full ahead just yet.  One storm, or a drop in the wind could be perilous, but thus far…we are still sailing. 

My plans for the weekend got completely switched around.  But it was all in a good way.  I skipped some parties last night so I could come home and rest, and Im glad I did.  Tanya’s father in law offered me a ticket to the F1 Races this weekend.  I wasn’t planning on attending the races, just the after parties.  The parties are supposed to be amazing.  I wasn’t planning on attending the races because the tickets are so expensive.  The face value on this ticket $450 for the three day event.  So Im going to work it into my schedule so I’ll be able to attend.  Since I have to teach acting classes tomorrow afternoon, I can only go to the morning races.  That means I’m going to have to cut short my party attendance tonight.  Which will be difficult.  Im supposed to attend three different parties tonight.  Fortunately they are all in the same part of town, so I can make an appearance at all three.  But I have to get back by a certain hour so I can enjoy the racing and teach class tomorrow.  The main day is Sunday, which is a work day.  I’ll have to figure out how to work a little and still catch the main action.  It so helps that Im the boss.  It also helps that I work 80 hours a week generally and I can afford these forays periodically when they do occur.  As long as the company is making money, I have much more flexibility.  The Shaheen family trusts me, and I don’t take that trust lightly.  I’ll try to take pix of the race and post them by Monday.  

No comments: