Friday, October 8, 2010

An American back in Bahrain, temporarily

What a nice day it was yesterday. I got so many well wishes from friends and family. It just really made me feel so special. But the highlight of the day was the gift from Jennifer, a very inventive and creative gift. Wow!!!! Am I glad she’s my wife! I really think Im the luckiest guy on the face of the planet. The gift was so poetic in nature especially if you know my backstory.

I got up early so I could go to the Business class lounge at the Dubai Airport and eat breakfast. I did get there early and I asked if they could upgrade. The attendant then started working on it. She told me happy belated birthday after seeing my passport. She was the first person to wish me a Happy Birthday in person. I was touched. I was able to get upgrade but it took 45 min. So I missed out on my free breakfast in the lounge. I don’t think the trade off was worth it. I got on the plane and watched the Grapes of Wrath. I had never seen it before, but it essentially is the life story of my grandfather. A poor Oklahoma family loaded up into the family truck to travel to California. I didn’t catch the last 45 minutes, but I was so consumed with the abject poverty. It reminded me of all the sacrifices that my grandfather made before he passed away a couple of years ago. I did a biography on him, and it was a great way to preserve his story for generations. By the way, if you have elderly grandparents or parents interview them on video to get their life story before its too late. You can always ask me and Ill help you.

I got to Bahrain and rented a car. I made it to church on time. I was able to catch up with a lot of people. What was really nice was bragging on God telling them all how incredibly blessed I was. (No, the blessings don’t always have to mean its financial) One lady in particular made quite an impression. Her name is Christina an older German lady that teaches school. When I first met Christina she was shy and a bit of an introvert. She was lost in this sometimes intimidating new country. She came to my Positive Living Group faithfully for weeks. When I left I gave her my materials so she could continue her own group. She told me over and over again how much the group meant to her. Now she is taking that same spirit and spreading it to others. That made me so happy. I mentioned to her that she was just radiating peace and joy. She almost looked like a different person as to when I first met her. It was like an extreme spiritual makeover. Im so proud that God saw fit to use me to influence not only Christina’s life, but so many others.

I went to lunch with Darren and Sophie, then we played squash at the British club. He beat me again, but not by much. We are both going to be sore tomorrow. Baraq, my Iraqi friend came by a little later and we caught up. They all ask questions about my children because they know how much I care about them. Its nice to have people genuinely care. Darren has graciously allowed me to stay with him, so that cuts out the hotel bill.

Darren and I went out to dinner again with another Brit. He was really interesting. We philosophized all night while Darren chomped down on the cigars and sheesha. The lamb for dinner was incredible, I had forgotten how much I liked it. Busy day tomorrow and the next day and the next. I love being busy.

No comments: