Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Emerging from the blast zone

It was a really nice day. I think it was cool to get out from underneath the bunker of the blast zone. I had been hunkered down with all the attacks waiting for the blasts to clear. I have to say I’ve emerged relatively unscathed. Im sure there are going to be spiritual rewards for this too, but that is just a fringe benefit of being a believer. I think if this crap would have happened a couple of years ago it would have devastated me. Today it’s like I had to brush the dirt of my shoulder. That doesn’t mean I don’t care about particular people that were/are affected, rather, I have to concern myself about the things I can control. The rest I give it to God.

The day started out with me having to set my alarm clock to get up at 8:30. I know rough life. I think God compensates us when things are going rough in order that we can focus on the brighter things in life. I have a lot of bright things around to focus on. Today for instance. I went to a production house to supervise the edit on a project. Now when I first started out, I was a writer-producer-director. I had to do it all because I couldn’t afford to hire anyone else. So I got really good and fast at those positions. I had to be fast because there wasn’t a lot of money in the early days. So the faster I finished the more my hourly rate went up (I got paid by the job) so that incentivized me. I eventually became an editor too so I didn’t have to hire one out. I learned how to edit fortunately enough at the church I worked at, Crosswinds. (Working for a ministry still ranks and my most fulfilling job of all time, even though it wasn’t a lot of money. ) For awhile there I was a one man production house, as I had to do camera as well. I think those days are over. Its called paying your dues, and I paid them seemingly for 20 years. Now instead of doing the edit myself, I got to tell the editor what to do. What made me feel even better about it was that he was a better editor than myself. So with this new company, since I have other producer types around me, really my main focus comes down to just having to be creative as a writer-director. I love that as I think it accentuates my strengths. I am very fortunate the way things worked out in my career. I don’t really miss Los Angeles all that much. There was so much competition there. Many of my friends are having a mediocre go of it. They are surviving but not thriving. Where out in Los Angeles I would have been the tiny little fish in the ocean. Out here Im a mid-sized carp in a lake. But there are plenty of opportunities and room to grow. What I like the most about this career in Dubai are the two guys that I work with. They are forward thinkers and dreamers. The thing with them is that they have already accomplished so much. Another success with this company will simply be par for the course for them.

I received an email from a person who had read my blog. He was in Dubai and wanted to get together. Im always up for meeting new people. This guy was really nice. So we got together for dinner and had a great time talking about all sorts of subjects. Its still amazes me how this blog reaches different people. My friend Darren who is town for business also joined us. Apparently Rohan reads my blog often. When I mentioned that Darren and I were going to play squash, he just lit up. He put two and two together that this was the number 1 ranked American squash player in Bahrain. I have to defer to no.2 because Darren beats me and Im no longer on the circuit in Bahrain. It was just kind of funny as he mentioned he felt like he should get our autographs or something silly like that. It was just nice having this type of interaction with a new friend and an old friend. I don’t have too many relationships out here just yet so it was a welcome diversion.

During dinner I got a call from Ali. He let me know that another big project we were waiting on got approved. This one is going to be fantastic. Im pretty excited about it. I’ll share more details later when the contracts are signed which will probably happen next week.

Im just amazed at God’s faithfulness. Through all the problems of the past few weeks, the only thing I knew to do…was to “Seek First the kingdom and its righteousness” Once again Im a living testimony that “All things have been added to you.” Wow. What a good day.

No comments: