Monday, October 4, 2010

Equipped to Thrive

I think God equipped us to survive and thrive in the region where we originally grew up, climate wise. I think Alaskans can withstand the cold better than someone from texas. On the same note, I don’t think Alaskans would fare too well in Texas. I remember when I was in Taiwan, I just was so overheated in the humidity with the summer’s there while my Taiwanese friends rarely even broke a sweat. But when winter rolled around, I was in a short sleeve shirt at 60 degrees as content as I could be while they were in their earmuffs, gloves and parkas. They thought I was crazy. I grew up in California so really the only weather I ever grew accustomed to was near perfection. I was spoiled as a child in almost every sense of the word.

That brings us to today’s events. I have never ever complained about the weather. Because think about it. What does complaining do besides make you more miserable than you already are? Plus it makes the people surrounding you miserable too. Complaining doesn’t hardly do anything productive, so I try to limit mine within reason. By today’s standard weather, it was a mild day in Dubai. It was about 95 degrees with 75% humidity. (Remember I said four uncomfortable months and 8 fabulous months of weather). We’re on the tail end of the 4th month. So by summer’s standards here, it was by definition a mild day. I had to walk to the bank. I’ve been running and exercising a lot, so a 30 minute walk would not exert that much energy. So I have this Citibank Visa I obtained in Bahrain. I haven’t been able to pay it because I was in the US and there was no way I could pay it online. It only had a $250 balance on it. So when I got to Dubai, I figured I would go to a Citibank branch in Dubai and pay it. But no, they wouldn’t take the money, even at a Citibank branch. What….? So I had to go to a money transfer place. So I walk all the way back to the money transfer place which was conveniently in my building. This facility was similar to Western Union as they are hugely popular here. Because most of the ex-pats use these to send the majority of their paychecks home to their families. So I walk into the building and Im just dripping with sweat. Im not tired, or exhausted…just overheated. The Filipino behind the desk just kind of smirked at me and got me a tissue box. I took one and wiped my forehead. He offered it to me again, please sir take more. I just kind of laughed. But as I looked around me at the other Indians, Arabs, and Filipinos, no one else was perspiring like I was. I think they must have become accustomed to the heat. Meanwhile the spoiled kid from California was suffering from a mental heatstroke. Yeah, but lets see how these guys do in 75 degree weather with no humidity with someone bringing your drinks to you by the pool. Yeah, see how they react in my environment. Walk a mile in my shoes. OK, Im spoiled. But it just makes me admire God’s creation even more that He designed us all to be able to thrive for the most part in the area where we were raised. Of course there are exceptions, if not no one would ever move to California or Florida.

After I got the money straightened out, I started my real workout. I headed straight to my building and I walked up the stairs. I know that doesn’t sound like much, and maybe Im either a wimp or out of shape or both. But by the time I got to the top, I was huffing and puffin. The elevator says it goes up to floor 41, but then you have the basement, garage floor, mezzanine floor, plaza floor, upper plaza, then floor number 1. So you add those six floors to the 41 actually, 43 by the stairs, and you get 49 flights. So I was wiped out after that. Im proud because last week I could barely get to my floor at 20, or really 27 if you count those bottom floors.

Im pretty fortunate that I have a great schedule. I work on projects.
So that means my hours are flexible. Plus with Jennifer still in the US and I don’t really have friends here yet, my life is constantly my work. It isn’t that bad since I enjoy what I do. I just finished working tonight at around 10pm, it sounds brutal, but I do get a chance to sleep in. I wonder if I’ll set my alarm clock tomorrow? It’s a results driven job. When I have productions Ill be working the long hours, I always do. Its just ebbs and flows. Meanwhile…Im tired. Those 41 er…49 stories took it out of me.

No comments: