Saturday, October 2, 2010

The six month delay

Today was my day off and I slept in. I stayed up late talking to Jennifer til 4am. There is an eight hour time difference but we are managing to still communicate through it. When daylight savings hits, Im exactly 12 hours before PST, which makes it easier to calculate. They don’t do daylight savings time here. Because of the heat, the faster the sun goes down the better. That is why there is such an amazing night life here. The weather is starting to cool just a bit. What I mean by that is its down to 90, but it was incredibly humid today. I slept til 11 then piddled around the computer. I have no television so the internet is my outlet. I really don’t need television that much. If there is a show to watch, I’ll rent it on itunes or grab the DVD.

I was all excited to go to the mall today. I run to the metro, which is about a 10 minute jog 20 minute walk. When I get there Im pretty sweaty, but there a lot of sweaty people here, so I don’t think I stand out too much. Plus I just try to stand next to an Indian. As much as I love Indians there are certain number of them that don’t really believe in deodorant. OK, back to the movie theater. I saw when I was there last time they had Buttery topping for the popcorn. This was the first time in the Middle East that I had seen this. I got soooo excited. So I had to see a movie around the purpose of getting popcorn. I wound up seeing a movie called Solomon Kane. Now the movies they get here are usually 6-9 months behind their original release in the states unless its an international opening. So forgive me if its old news. So a lot of you may have seen this film already. I was very pleasantly surprised. When I saw the trailer, it just looked like schlock. But when I researched it on Rotten Tomatoes it got surprisingly good reviews. What I saw today really surprised me. Its almost a Christian film. The themes of good vs. evil are certainly present but even moreso than that are God vs. Devil. It’s a story of redemption. The main character seeks God for his strength throughout the film. If you have teenage boys (its pretty bloody) this is a good one to get on DVD. I told Jennifer on consecutive days I saw a movie in the Middle East first starring James McAvoy, then James Purefoy. That’s symmetry for you.

Oh speaking of old news, when I predicted Christopher Plummer to get nominated for the oscar for The Last Station, he apparently did….last year. So I was just a little bit off. We have a bit week ahead. Thank you for your continual prayers. I feel that God is with me the whole way through here.

2 comments:

Ashish Gorde said...

When I get there Im pretty sweaty, but there a lot of sweaty people here, so I don’t think I stand out too much. Plus I just try to stand next to an Indian. As much as I love Indians there are certain number of them that don’t really believe in deodorant.

What the heck do you mean by that? How many Indians do you know that prompts you to make such a broad generalisation?

Poor hygiene cannot be termed as a national trait. It's simply a bad choice with unfortunate (and yucky) consequences.

Blame, if any, should be directed at individuals instead of dragging a country, culture or whatever.

Rick Beeman said...

You are absolutely right Ashish, I shouldn't have said anythng like that. It was perpetuating a stereotype. I humbly apologize.

And thank you for your astute comments on Marriage in India.