Monday, October 18, 2010

A busy but productive day

Yesterday was a pretty intense day. I had to soak it all in, and let it settle before I moved on with the creative. Writing this blog does take a certain amount of creative energy. Whenever Im busy, it’s a little easier to write because the creative momentum is already churning. However, when I have work to do, Im starting to discipline myself to do work first then the blog. Since I had a ton to do yesterday and today, I thought it would be prudent to put it off. It’s a crazy thing about creativity and me. Its not an 8 hour a day job. I’ve never really been able to go 8 straight hours. It comes in bursts. I’ll work for about 3-hours creatively, but then be spent, mentally.
I had to get up early to meet with the production company in Abu Dhabi. We were trying to get everything settled with the pilot before our main contact went on vacation. The good news is they approved the pilot so we’ll get going in December on it. There was a little wrinkle added. They want to do an Arabic and English version. Essentially this means two productions. Ali, is going to have to do one take in English, and the next in Arabic. It should prove to be challenging. So I told our contact that I would complete the script, revise the budget, adjust the production schedule, and create an outline by 5:00 pm the next day. What was I thinking?!?! I want to make a good impression on this first project that we’ll do a professional job, on time and under budget. I’ve never missed a deadline, so I wasn’t going to let this one be my first. I got it finished by 4:15. After the meeting yesterday, I had to drive back up to Dubai to meet with a large university. This was all about the acting school and figuring out how we can get my company and the university working together. The good thing is that Reg knew the contact already. In this region, relationships, more than other places, is really key. Its called “Wasta” in Arabic, meaning good favor. So now I have to write several proposals on how we can potentially work together. Its not just limited to acting, but writing, directing, producing etc. I do enjoy teaching, but, I have that Woody Allen line that always goes through my head from Annie Hall “Those who can’t do, teach. Those who can’t teach, teach gym.” However, the older I get the more respect I have for teachers. I actually wrote a few of my old high school teachers Mr. Hunt and Mr. McQueary through facebook. I thanked them for the contribution and the inspiration they made in my life. In part because of their building me up in my formative years, I am where I am today because of them. I am sharing this amazing Arabic experience with them. I want to change the world. I’ve made that pretty clear. But I admire those men and teachers in general because they already changing the world with the hundreds if not thousands of students they influenced. The same goes for Ministers as well. Those are two very noble professions.
Reg came back just for the day from Nigeria, and then he’s off to the UK. His schedule is pretty amazing. He seems to like the travel. We had so much to debrief on. We have about 7 or 8 different projects all cooking right now. We have to stay on top of things. After all the meetings yesterday, I just wanted to veg out. I chose to veg, by staying up and watching the Raiders on the internet. I often wonder, why do I torture myself with this? Im an intelligent guy, why do I let something out of my control affect my emotions in this manner? Jerry Seinfeld famously said about sports “We’re rooting for laundry.” Its true, and I want my laundry to be the best. Why? So I’ll feel better about myself. If my team wins, I’ll be better than you. Isn’t that why most people watch sports? Im a sucker, but its good entertainment. Well its good entertainment when they kick game ending field goals and don’t lose to winless teams. I just hate how they lost to the 49ers. My grandfather always hated the 49ers. That’s what made losing to them a little bit harder.

No comments: