Friday, October 22, 2010

Two Hashbrowns before the launch

Its an interesting time in my life. I feel like Im at Cape Canaveral and the launch sequence has begun. Im just waiting for the countdown and the blast off. I’ve spent the last month here getting everything situated and prepared. Im not as busy as I would like to be, but that will all change Sunday as we go into production for a client. When I don’t have a lot to do, I hardly get anything done. When I have too much to do, Im ultra efficient and bang it out. I would rather be extremely busy than bide my time. That was my problem whenever I was in a corporate environment. I suck at looking busy. In fact, I am so rarely busy…ever. Im not sure if it’s a character flaw or a blessing from God. I just don’t get stressed. In my career, especially the last 10 years, I don’t think I’ve been busy more than a few months. I feel a little bit guilty about that. Is there something else I should be doing? I always meet my deadlines, and my career is moving in an upward direction. My supervisors seem pleased with my work. But when Im not busy I feel like Im wasting a bit. In production the work comes in cycles. There are often times I work 12-16 hour days and think nothing of it. So I believe that balances out the inactivity. Our pilot episode is scheduled to start in Dec. So a few weeks prior to that while we’re in pre-production, I’ll be very active. I think being busy is a state of mind. I know many friends that find their sense of self-worth in being busy. I have never really done that. I think one of the main reasons why Im not “busy” is that I have the right attitude with God. I make sure I devote enough time with him, and magically there is enough time to get everything done in the day. The busier I am…or the more that I have to do, the more important it is for me to spend time with God. Its kind of like tithing, only you are tithing your time. You cannot outgive God. Im also convinced that my professional success is due to the fact that I am Seeking God first, and God is blessing that.

The family of the small group that I went to last week has been such a blessing to me. They are good people, from the US. They have invited me to the Bible Study at the church last night and the service this morning. Its nice being able to go to church and not have to take a taxi or walk home. The church Im going to, leans to Calvinist. I had to look that up on Wikipedia. Here I grew up in the church and I don’t really know what Calvinist believe. I’ve gone to so many “non” denominational churches the last five years. I really like the open teaching of “this way is right” Its strange to go to church that implies that so many other churches are wrong and we are right. It just reminds of the old denomination in which I was reared. I mentioned in an early blog there are over 100 Christian denominations in the US. Each one thinks there way is a little more right than the other 99.

This church Im attending now, I believe is a good church. They teach the Bible verse by verse so you can’t really go wrong with that. It sure is popular. I think it’s the largest in Dubai. I just really feel challenged to listen and pay attention. Im trying to figure out within my own walk to clarify my beliefs and back them up against scripture. I have to carefully listen to determine if I whole-heartedly agree with certain philosophies espoused. We are admonished to “study to show thyselves approved.” So that is what Im doing.

I got really excited because the couple I was with, after the Bible Study treated me to a Quarter Pounder at McDonalds. What got me excited was that this particular McDonalds has breakfasts. I didn’t think any McDonalds in the Middle East had breakfast. At least I know they didn’t in Bahrain. So Im going to get up early and bike to Breakfast. It should work out that I burn off whatever calories I intake. So Jennifer my dear…Im having that 2nd Hash brown.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rick,
been following ur blog since Bahrain/Juffair days...it was also a great place but eventually had to move on to grow further, currently in dxb, would be great to have a chat, can contact at dj_jshockey@yahoo.com if interested