Saturday, November 15, 2008

1500 channels and nothing to watch...

Its been an interesting weekend.  Im still adjusting to life out here and its weird when i don't have work to distract me.  I think i dread the thought of being alone.  So i try to busy myself with activity.  Im fortunate in the fact that I so love what i do, so work is absolutely fun.  But i know i can't be at the office 24/7.  Its in the down times that i realize that im divorced and alone.  Its interesting...and i feel a little foolish about this.  I purchased something called the Dream box when i got here.  It was a box that let you download all the satellite channels world wide.  Since they sell them in retail outlets, i figured they were legal.  Ummm...i don't think they are anymore...but i already bought it.  What a horrible example of a missionary i am.  But anyway, this box was expensive, i purchased it from the asst. manager in the building so i thought it was legit, especially considering the price.  It was $400 bucks.  But i figured if im moving in, might as well get everything all done at once.  As soon as it was installed, i was absolutely overwhelmed.  I get 1500 channels on like 50 satellite uplinks.  I promptly deleted all the adult channels, a single guy doesn't need 40 adult channels...for that matter anyone doesn't need that.  (I learned my lesson...for those who know me...if not...email me and i'll explain).  So as soon as i scrolled through all the channels (actually one of the main reasons why i got it so i could watch Joel Osteen), it hit me.  I don't watch TV anymore.  Why did i just spend $400 for 1500 channels and i don't watch TV...what was i thinking?   Then i thought...what an American I still am...I want it, i want it, i want it....but do i need it?  Old American habits are hard to break.   Oh well live and learn.  So if any of you want to come over and watch the teletubbies in Portugese...im your man.  


I bring this up, because you would think with all my isolation...i would lose myself in the vast land of TV.  But no, i've busy non-stop really and i've loved it.  This weekend was the first real challenge where i didn't have much to do, and i was a little intimidated to be alone.  But...it was a good weekend.  Im getting more and more comfortable in my own skin and comfortable being alone.  I do believe that prayer is the key.  I know that many of you are praying for me...because i've seen it in your many many emails.  I actually felt the prayers this weekend.  Prayers work.  I think i bring up my divorce so much because its heavily on my mind again because of the previous time i was in Saudi Arabia.  Then...i was very lonely...absolutely miserable because i missed my family sooooooo much.  Then my marriage ended.  Now, i've come back to the land where i was so miserable and i have completely different attitude and outlook.  Im not miserable...im thriving and its weird.  The only explanation is that im walking according to God's plan and he's blessing me for it.  Last time, when i found the emails and realized my marriage was in serious jeopardy, the wave of depression and panic was absolutely intense and devastating.  It was like someone had covered me with 50 wet wool blankets making it virtually impossible to move.  I remember one time specifically feeling these emotional blankets on me.  Then all of a sudden for no reason at all...the weight was lifted temporarily...a reprieve like i could breathe again.  I could sense God's presence in that moment and i knew someone somewhere in the world was praying for me.  I talked to a few people a day or two later and i asked...where you praying for me between 12:45-1:15 your time two days ago? Indeed they were.  That has happened to me multiple times.  So if you feel led to pray for someone don't discount it.  It works.  I could tell this weekend...many of you were praying for me.  It is very appreciated.  


I went to the mall on Friday (which is our Saturday on the weekend thing).  I just enjoyed watching everyone.  The Saudi's descend upon Bahrain en masse on the weekend. They come to drink, eat pork, watch movies, and hang out at the mall.  There really is nothing socially for the Saudi's to do in Saudi Arabia.  They like to drive around (Cruise) go to the mall and walk around, and spend time with family. That's it...that's all there is to do.   They can't interact with girls...can't even speak to them.  If you speak to a woman that isn't your wife, you could get arrested in Saudi.  Women can't drive, no movies, no blockbuster, no churches other than Islamic churches, no alcohol and for me at least worst of all...no pork!!!  You never realize how much you miss a ham sandwich until you can't get one.  Its interesting because guys don't talk to the girls, they don't really know how to interact with them when given the opportunity. That's why arranged marriages are so vital here.  And if arranged marriages are bad? Consider the U.S. where divorce is 1 in 2 (present company included) or in the U.K where the number is around 2 out of 3 marriages end in divorce.  Compare that with India where with arranged marriages the divorce rate is 10%.  OK...back to the guy/girl thing.  In the restaurants in Saudi Arabia, its divided into two sections...single males and families.  There is never any mixing.  Thus in Bahrain you see the effects of that culture.  The men and boys walk around in packs of 3-6 while the girls do the same.  They just don't interact.  Oh...i forgot..if a guy is interested in a girl.  He'll wad up a piece of paper or a business card and throw it at the girl hoping to not be noticed (ive seen this happen)  Then if the girl is interested she'll call him on her cell phone.  The Mutawa...(religious police with the long Osama bin laden type of beards) patrol the areas to make sure that the laws of Islam are followed.  If your abaya (black robe) is too short, they'll whack you on the ankles with a stick.  Or if you are a man and not in prayer during the call to prayer...they'll whack you then too.  The Mutawa are trying to maintain their grip of control on Saudi..but its a losing battle.  The traditionalists want it to return to the 7th century when the Prophet Muhammad roamed the earth.  But with the advent of cell phones, (cameras are illegal too in Saudi) internet and Satellite TV.  The west/rest of the world is slowly influencing the younger generations much to chagrin of the older more conservative generations.  That's why some of the hardliners hate the west so much.  They think we are ruining their culture.  in actually the young people are gravitating towards that lifestyle.  Rather than confront the young people its easy just to blame the west.  Isn't it interesting that people that aren't honest with themselves often try to blame others for their shortcomings.  


Well Bahrain is completely different than Saudi.  There are no Mutawa, and you can be free to worship, drink a beer, go to a club, or watch a movie  Still some of the Saudi don't really know what to do here...other than cruise and walk in a pack in the mall.  That's what they know and what they are comfortable with.  .  Many people are amazed when i tell them, that Bahrain is very similar to the U.S. in many respects as is Dubai.  I feel just as safe and comfortable here as i do at home.  At no point since i've been here, have i felt threatened.  I did feel threatened in Saudi a little a few years back but not here.


Another interesting think about the Arabs here is the way they wear their gutras (headpieces).  Each arab wears it a little different.  It seems like thumbprints or snowflakes, each gutra is a little different.  ITs like having different hair styles.  They use it to be distinct from each other.  Its subtle but still distinctive.  It's late (11:15 pm) i think ill head to bed early...no tv again...i thank God for your prayers...


Rick

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Miss a week of your blog... miss a lot. I'm waiting to hear what happens! Who needs 1500 channels when you have your blogspot?