Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Realities of racism

First of all let me apologize again for my vent/blow up of a couple of days ago.  I probably should have kept that one private.  I try to keep a good attitude most of the time, but sometimes it just boils over.  I’ll have to work on that.  Upon reflection…while my devotional life has been great over here…my praise and worship time has really suffered.  I also don’t have a body of believers to associate with just yet.  Its not an excuse…its just something I have to struggle with.  I miss my kids.  I guess I just have to come to grips with the realities of my decision.  I wanted the best of both worlds with my kids being able to visit…but I guess that isn’t going to happen just yet.  I know im here doing God’s work…im 100% certain I am where im supposed to be.  I was really hurting when one of my friends and readers of this blog wrote to encourage me.  She said..that she was speaking with a missionary friend in Ireland.  This missionary said she felt like she had a target on her back.  That summed up, exactly what im feeling.  I have a target on my back, I feel.  Well I guess I should be encouraged…the enemy doesn’t mess you…if you’re not messing with him.  Perhaps this comes under the category to whom much is given, much is required.  If im given responsibility to be an Ambassador for Christ…I have a responsibility to act appropriately and to defend myself against the attacks.  I guess the other night…I didn’t…I apologize to those of you whom I offended.  It reminds me of the time in 2005 while I was in Saudi Arabia.  I told my then wife…”I think our marriage is under spiritual attack.”  She agreed.  Less than two months later…my marriage for all intents and purposes was over.  In many aspects, I believe I’m back in the Middle East to finish what I started.  I believe my family was supposed to join me…but that’s one of the down sides to a free will…God allows all of our choices..good and bad.  So now im going at it alone. 

It is interesting about the difference in racism over here as compared to the U.S.  In the U.S. the perception of racism seems to be striving to shun/eradicate it, at least in the open.  Here…racism is accepted and no one tries to do anything about it…its just a way of life.  Even the Arabs are racists amongst themselves.  You are divided between Sunni Muslims and Shiite Muslims.  Then you are divided by your countries.  It was fascinating, Khalifa, the founder of the company was telling me the differences between the Egyptians, Jordanians, Palestinians, Emirati’s, Bahraini’s, Qatarians, Saudi’s, and Yemeni’s.  I thought they were all Arabs…but no…they are very distinct how they act, behave and interact with each other.  The differences in race is one reason why I always preface to you whom I interact with, to give you a better picture.  Right or wrong, you are defined by where you come from first and foremost.  Im fortunate, because Americans are quite popular despite the minority factions within Islam that perpetrate violence.  I was speaking with a really interesting man today.  One of the more wealthy Bahraini businessmen on the Island.  He owns a huge construction company, hotels, and country clubs.  He is half Bahraini, and half dutch.  When you look and talk to him, you would swear he was American.  He went to school in Stockton, and Texas  and Missouri.  Essentially he lived in the same neighborhoods that I also lived in.  He was explaining that in Stockton in the late 70’s when he was at school there was lots of crime.  He felt very fearful for his safety.  He never had experienced that while he lived in Bahrain.  Its quite the opposite stereotype of what the U.S. holds. 

His main problem with conducting business is finding laborers.  There is a big push within the Bahraini government to hire Bahraini nationals to work. The problems are…they don’t want to work (most of them) at least for those lower wages.   Instead, companies are forced to hire foreigners (sound familiar?)  So the government is making it increasingly restrictive to hire foreigners and that is grinding the business process to a halt.  I explained to him, that we are having the same problem.  KSDI needs to hire an accountant..yet the accountant they hired cant’ get a proper visa to come over from India.  His response…”We need an accountant too.”  So for business owners it’s a double edge sword.  Most of your labor force because of the world’s economy is very inexpensive (as compared to U.S. standards) but also very hard to secure. 

I am learning to adapt to the cultural differences at work.  For instance, most Indians are very technically adept.  Some of the guys that work for us are brilliant technicians.  Im running into some communication issues.  They rarely will tell you, they don’t understand, or don’t know how to do something.  They will always agree with you.  When you ask them a question, invariable, they will tilt their head back and forth, like a cross between shaking their head no…and nodding yes..  So…I say…I want you to edit this tape as a window dub and burn me a DVD….Do you understand?  They tilt their head…”no problem.”  But do they get it right…sometimes… Its just a challenge culturally I have to overcome.  I always repeat myself anyway…to the point of annoyance…that trait comes in quite handy here…

No comments: