Thursday, November 27, 2008

thanksgiving and clubs....

Well its thanksgiving and it just doesn’t feel like thanksgiving.  I went the whole day without wishing anyone a happy thanksgiving until 5:30 closing time.  You see…they just don’t celebrate that day around the world.   So once I figured it out, I scrambled to tell everyone Happy Thanksgiving.  I tried to call my kids several times, but there are only certain times that their mom allows them to use the phone.  It makes it difficult to connect.  So we usually wind up trading messages.  The restricted schedule and the time difference make it really challenging to communicate with them. 

Last month as soon as I arrived I saw that Ric’s Country Kitchen, my fav. American restauran, was taking reservations for their Christmas buffet.  I put myself down for two, thinking, surely in a month I could find someone.  So here it is the day before thanksgiving and my friend…the Romanian is in Singapore to run a marathon.  That makes me down to one friend Barraq, and he had plans.  I met this really pretty girl via facebook, we started chatting, and thought it would be fun to celebrate Thanksgiving together…so I did fill out the reservation after all.  We went to a club afterwards called JJ’s an Irish pub.  It’s mainly filled with Navy guys and Gulf Air girls.  It just amazes me how many people flock their to drown their sorrows.  I just saw a lot of unhappy people.  I am trying to get into the club scene but its just so difficult.  I don’t like to dance, I don’t like to drink, and I see through the facades and see the reality.  So that doesn’t make club life very appealing.  Everyone is searching for something there.  I just wanted to jump on a table and shout..Everyone here has a God shaped hole in your heart and you have to fill it with something.  You all are choosing alcohol and sex, and its not going to fulfill.  In that type of environment with drunken navy guys, I don’t think it would have went over too well.  I might as well just wear a “God Hates Fags” sign on Castro St. in San Francisco. 

Im going to keep this a little short tonight, and im not even going to proofread it.  Im tired, so if there are typos, you’ll know why.  I talked to Reji…he doesn’t have a car but longs to go church.  So I’m picking him up in 4 hours and were going to go to church tomorrow.  Im already looking forward to my Friday afternoon nap. 

No comments: