Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Erica...and the choices i made....

What an interesting day…I had a long great talk with a dear friend of mine Erica.  She was mentioning that I didn’t write about her in my blog and she was happy about it.  Well shame on me.  Erica you see is a very dear dear friend to me.  She was my girlfriend right before I came over…we had a short but incredible relationship.  We fell for each almost instantly.  She is one of the most amazing girls I have ever met.  She’s lovely, funny, intelligent, successful, a strong Christian girl…she’s everything you’d want to find in a mate.  I had dated (can I say that outloud Erica) her for a few months when this opportunity opened up.  I had a tough choice to make…well it wasn’t really too tough…because I knew that God had designs on me coming here.  But still it was emotionally difficult to leave.  I miss her very much.  Because of her crazy work schedule, she works 70-80 hours a week as a high powered executive…plus she’s a mom.  I don’t know how she does it all.  It amazes me…and makes me feel very lazy.  So it was quite bittersweet my interview, acceptance and eventual departure.  There were many tears.  But Erica knew that this position was my destiny.  She didn’t get in the way.  Im sure Erica would have swept aside everything to come with me…but she has three beautiful children anchoring her at home.  It would just be impossible.   But for the few months we had known each other…we have become lifetime friends.  I chatted on the phone with her, and we laughed and laughed and laughed…that’s what we did best.  She wanted to know all about the Romanian…(the Romanian is in London at the moment).  Its great to have a dear friend in your life like Erica.  Someone that gets all your obscure references and jokes.  She means a lot to me.  I miss her very much.  I hope she can come visit. 

I had another call from a good friend Jeff Crispi today…a brilliant improv actor, who attending my Improv classes.  He wanted to take me up on my offer of coming over to stay for a couple of weeks.  We were trying to figure out a way he could work for a couple of weeks…just for the cultural experience of it.  He just wanted to cover the cost of his plane ticket, which is about $1800.  So we are still trying to see if it will work.  Everyone is welcome to come visit.  I feel like im living in a dream world over here.  Its quite surreal.  He wanted to experience some of that too.  Im still at the office and its 7:50 pm.  Khalifa and Omar just went home for the day.  I just love what I do.  Im quite fortunate.  The more that I have to do…the busier I am, the more fun it is for me.  I have to be one of the most blessed guys in the world as far as career goes.  As for the emotional…I think God is overcompensating me in the professional realm so the emotional won’t hurt as much. 

I got a call from Mo Loch, a few minutes ago.  There is a private party being thrown at a club.    He wanted me to go along to introduce me to some of his friends.  Im quite honored.  He also said there would be plenty of flight attendants there…so that can’t hurt.  Its all about networking as I try to build up the company.    I did spend 10 years in Hollywood Writing and Directing.  That goes a long way in impressing people out here…it gives you “Wasta” which is good favor.    The only down part for the party is that it doesn’t start til 10:30 pm.  It’s a weekend for Mo and Saudi Arabia (Thur-Fri) but for me and Bahrain its Fri-Sa.   The whole Arab culture is a late night culture.  It comes from centuries enduring the oppressive heat.  Since it was mostly trade for centuries, most Arabs would stay inside during the heat of the day when it was blazing hot…and emerge at night when it was cooler.  That trend lasted from generation to generation, that’s why the night life is so vibrant here.  But for me…Im good for going to bed at 11.  But Im trying to act younger in my second go around at life.  Mo said something a bit inadvertent the other day.  He was talking about people “Our” age, meaning Mo’s and my age.  Im 40...Mo is 26, but he doesn’t know how old I am.  He was thinking I was around his age.  He is wise beyond his years, and im immature for my age…so I guess that does put us on equal ground.  Still a little bump to the ego doesn’t hurt when I put it all into context.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww...