Friday, November 5, 2010

The Big Surprise

My flight landed about 4:00 on Thursday in Raleigh. It was an eight hour flight from London. I had the middle row to myself as the plane was about half full. I slept for 30 minutes at a time a few times on the leg. I was anxious to see Jennifer but I knew she wouldn’t be home from work til around 7 so there was no need to rush through customs. I got through immigration and gave myself a commuter shower which basically meant I washed my arm pits at the sink and put on a fresh shirt and deodorant. I rented a car and then I got worried. I had done such a diligent job of covering my tracks but then there was an unavoidable mistake. I had to rent a car. I couldn’t tell Jennifer to pick me up from the airport. So there was a slight chance she could look at the credit card and see Enterprise Rent a Car, Cary, NC. So that was a chance I was forced to take. Jennifer is really sneaky like that. Sometimes its too much for her own good. But she can find out anything about anybody that is out there.

After about 24 hours, I was a walking greaseball. So I went to a salon and asked if they could just give me a shampoo. I explained that I was surprising my wife from the Middle East and they were happy to help in the endeavor. Help in the fact that at least to try to get me to look presentable. I swung by the house afterwards and it was 5:30, still no Jennifer. I went to eat at Wendy’s, then came back and still no Jennifer. The good part is that the dogs were outside so I knew she wasn’t home. When they are inside, she is home. So I drove around for a bit longer. Then at around 7:00 the dogs were inside. I walked up to the door and knocked. All the lights were on so I knew she was home. I then heard the garage door open and was greeted first by her dogs. A moment later Jennifer emerged and just kind of stared at me. It wasn’t the reception I was anticipating. I think she was in a shock as she stood there for about 30 seconds. It was like a standoff, neither one of us were moving. I don’t think she thought I was real, or really there. Finally we just embraced. It took about an hour or so to finally sink into her. The dogs were going a little bit crazy but I was totally focused on her. The rest of the night was just spent celebrating being in each other’s company. We went to buy some wood from the store and made a nice fire in the fireplace. Winter is here in NC and it must have been in the 40’s or so. After being in the heat of the Middle East, a nice crisp winter feels wonderful. Sitting in front of a fire makes it even better. Its so nice to be spending this time with my best friend. Im only here for a week, but it’s a good shot in the arm to help us get through the distance and time til we’re together on a full time basis in Dec/Jan. I am very fortunate that I have the means to be able to fly back and forth to see her. Really for the last 3-4 years a majority of my income has been spent on plane fare either seeing my kids or seeing Jennifer. Its just an economic choice I have made and will continue to make.

I spent the day today ordering equipment and pork. I can get electronics about 40% cheaper here than in the Middle East. The pork is cheaper too. So I went to Costco and Trader Joes and bought a bunch of bacon, ham and salami. I’ll freeze it and then take a freezer bag and bring it back. I’ve been doing this for a couple of years now. Its just a routine that I get in. I bring a little bit of Costco with me wherever I might go.

I do have some work I have to do while Im here. Lots of budgets and proposals for future television shows. I’ll be busy, but at least I’ll be by the side of the woman I love. Im very appreciative of the life that I have. I am very blessed.

I was going to post the video of surprising Jennifer, but it turned out like crap. I wasn’t the best cameraman and she just kind of stood there like a statue. Instead, here’s a video I made of Jennifer on the plane ride home. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qYoNwb2PhI

Oh by the way, this blog recently surpassed the 30,000 hit mark. (Although 5,000 of those hits are from my mother and ex-spouse and her husband, so maybe I should be celebrating hitting the 25,000 mark). Im very appreciative to have this outlet where I can share my life. Hopefully you have been blessed by the wonderful tales of God’s faithfulness. I think my life is proof that God exists. This forum is an opportunity for me to share that.

No comments: