Thursday, December 23, 2010

If you're moving less than 90, you best move out of the way

We wrapped production today and Im exhausted but satisfied. We have been shooting all over Abu Dhabi the past week. Its about an hour drive between Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The Sheik Zayed highway however is quite an adventure. They have traffic cams about every 10 miles and if you are going over a certain pre-determined limit you see a flash and get a sick feeling. I’ve already had one ticket. Im told that anything over 90 mph (150 kph) gets you the flash. So I try to keep it around 85. But for most arabs the speed limit is only a suggestion and the traffic cams a nuisance. Traffic in the passing lane usually moves faster than 90 mph. Arabs like to drive fast. This is especially true in Saudi Arabia. One muslim once told me there is a certain type of invincibility with Muslims (Warning stereotype approaching). They explained some Muslims feel if you get in an accident it is Allah’s will…if you don’t get in an accident its Allah’s will. For me that’s a dangerous way to live obviously. I feel that God gave us all common sense for a purpose. So, If you are in their passing lane they’ll usually start flashing their blinkers when the get to be about 50 yards behind you. They’ll come up right to your bumper and start blaring their horn if you don’t move. If you know what’s good for you, you best get out of their way. Imagine the road rage that type of driving that would elicit in Los Angeles. Here’s its just accepted as decent road etiquette.

Im very pleased that shoot turned out as well as it did. We had a number of various crises on the set. But at the end of the day we got some great stuff in the can. I was working with a good crew. I was worried because we have a Jan. 2 deadline but Im extremely comfortable with the post house we are using. So I don’t think the deadline with threaten my record. I thought I was going to have to spend 24/7 with the editor, but he has already shown me how adept he is. I just need to guide him a little. I love being a director…I think even more than being a writer. But apparently I need to say please and thank you more when I direct. I tend to become incredibly focused as I visualize the shot as it will belong in the context of the finished piece. Really all being a director is, is being a good communicator. To communicate his vision with the crew clear enough so they’ll be able to see and emulate it as well. With Indians and non-native English speakers you have to be incredibly thorough with your communication. I think we are on the road to achieving that. I still haven’t proven myself yet, so that is a bit of a challenge. I can see the entire project in my head and its coming together just like in my head. But others can’t really see into my head…not like they’d want to. So having a finished piece will go a long way in establishing trust for future projects. I am establishing a very good rapport with the general manager of the production company we are using. He is from Kerala (India) and just understands production. Indians are very skilled in the labor and creative of films because of the immense market of Bollywood. I found this info from an Article in the Sunday Times of London: “India now produces over 850 films a year – around two per day. Approximately 450 films are released in the USA. India’s Central Boards of Film Certification claim that over a period of just three months, approximately one billion Indian’s visit cinemas to catch the latest release. In 2002, Bollywood sold 3.6 billion tickets and had total revenues (including admissions, DVDs, and television sales) of $1.3 billion, whereas Hollywood films sold 2.6 billion tickets and generated total revenues of US $51 billion. So Hollywood is clearly streets ahead in the count that really matters: money, money, money.” The main difference Between Bolly and Holly is the cheese factor…Bollywood movies are so melodramatic and cheesy and the Indians just love that. Its hard for me to sit through a Bollywood film, but I’ve done it for several of them. So when I have an Indian crew I have to de-Bollywoodize them. I like my Hollywood/Western style. I was flattered earlier today as I got an offer to direct a series of industrials. I am an OneTVO employee so ethically Im not going to take any work on the side (although that is quite common here). There may be an opportunity down the road where I can outsource myself for the good of the company. Its all about relationships here. There is not a spirit of competition, but rather cooperation. That is refreshing to find especially with the ultra-competitive nature of Hollywood in my rear view mirror. Now I was flattered by the job offer in part because I know that this particular person has seen my work. But really, one of the driving factors is my skin color. Apparently (I know this is unfair but it’s a reality) that having an American director…especially one with Hollywood experience is quite prestigious. Its not like I did anything to deserve my skin color. I won the genetic lottery and just so happened to be blessed by having two loving God-fearing parents. The rest is from “I just don’t know when to quit.” I should have given up on my career long ago because I have failed thousands of times. But my over-riding faith in God helped me to continue to believe in myself. Im just so thankful for all the blessings that I have. I really didn’t do much to deserve it. All I did was….Believe. And that was enough.

Less than 48 hours until Jennifer arrives to celebrate our first Christmas together. Im pretty thrilled about that.

2 comments:

steven faulk said...

Hi Rick, Thanks for the update. It has been many years. Great reading about your adventures.

Rick Beeman said...

Thanks Steve. Im a pretty blessed guy. Its good to see that you are doing well too. Consider this an open invitation to visit next time you are moseying through the Middle East.