Monday, February 23, 2009

Yeah!!!! Slumdog Millionaire

Yeah!!!! Slumdog Millionaire.  I had a vested interested watching the Oscars this year.  I haven’t missed a telecast in more than 25 years.  One day, I believe Im going to win one of those statuettes.  I thought that dream died a few years ago when I left Hollywood in 2001.  Now it is being revived.  I mentioned before that I think Slumdog’s success will have a direct impact on us here in the Middle East.  I have a hunch that Hollywood will now immediately trend to more International stories.  I spoke with my contact earlier today, he’s going to set up meetings with his Hollywood connections in the coming weeks to get this happening.  Please pray for this.  it could be huge.  Im a little dazed right now as I didn’t get much sleep the night before.  It was quiz night…and that is now a Sun. Night tradition for me.  We won the first round and didn’t come close the ensuing rounds.  If we don’t have a Brit or someone from the UK at the table we just have a hard time competing since there is so much info on the UK in the quiz.  So I got home late from that, took a 3 hour nap, and then got up to watch the Oscars at 4 am.  By the time they were over it was time to jump in the shower and head to work. 

As I was watching Slumdog pick up Best Director and Best Picture, I just started to cry.  I was so moved emotionally.  Now you have to realize that half the population in Bahrain are Indians.  They are some of my dearest friends now.  Even the ones from Kerala.  Indians are such a beautiful, kind and considerate culture.  You could see the genuineness in their acceptance speeches.  I experience that on almost a daily basis.  My mind hearkened back to last month when I was a judge at the Bahrain Film Festival with all Indians.  It was a like a mini-oscar event back then too.  Another one of my favorite Indians, is our office manager Simi.  She is a lovely girl.  She dressed up in a very Nice traditional Indian outfit today.  It was her birthday and she planned to buy the whole office lunch to celebrate.  I would have nothing of that…so I had KSDi spring for the lunch.  We love to make excuses for parties here.  So she just looked stunning in her, I think it was a Sari.  So I asked her if she dressed up for her birthday.  She got embarrassed and said without missing a beat.  “Not really….Yes.”   It was very very funny.  All the Indians were excited in the office were excited about Slumdog winning with the exception of maybe Reji, whom Im sure will want you to know that Slumdog is in Mumbai and does not reflect his beloved state/region of Kerala.  I think it’s the equivalent of a Sooner-Longhorn rivalrly or Australia-New Zealand. 

Were starting to get a lot of chatter for the acting classes as the newspaper articles and magazines slowly permeate the island.  I have a hunch that we are going to start slowly then its going to get amazingly popular.  Its sure going to help in the cash crunch times. 

It sure is nice having Guy and Tanya on the Sales side of things.  That allows me to be more of a GM and focus on the product and the creative side.  I’m also finding that Im quite good at schmoozing and developing future clients.  I had some spare time today so I continued to work on the JP Cormier biography.  I had so much fun doing that.  Being creative like that really is incredible therapy for me.  Im very lucky or blessed because I so love what I do.  

No comments: