Friday, February 27, 2009

Getting thrown out of a kids concert

Woke up this morning and went to breakfast at my favorite little dive.  I took Guy there this time.  I spoke with Ravi the waiter, he always gets excited when I come in to eat.  I order the same thing everytime.   I just order the usual.   Ravi and I spoke about Slumdog Millionaire.  A.R. Rahman the one that composed the music and won the oscar was from his home state in India.  He was going to see Slumdog later in the day.  All the Indian people are very proud that it did so well.  Indians are my favorite culture in the entire world.  They are very kind and gracious.  Because I tip, Ravi always gives me my Diet Cokes for free. 

After breakfast it was off to church.  I am starting to help out with the teens at church.  So I miss the main service.  I figure they need help, and im here to serve.  So it’s a good combination.  I listen to about 8-10 sermons per week on my ipod as it is.  So missing a live service is not a big deal.   As I was talking, one of the kids asked if I was going to be a teacher or a student.  I said student since Im learning along with them.  He replied back, so what are you 16, 17?  I said, 16, just like Benjamin Button, Im going the other way.  No one there had seen that movie, so my wit was lost.  I better get used to that feeling.  I loved being able to share with that age group.  I think the crap that I went through gave me a lot of wisdom I can pass on to the next generation.   Hopefully they can avoid the pain I went through.   Im going to enjoy talking to these kids.  Since I don’t have that type of relationship with my own kids at this moment (not by my choice) maybe these will be good fill in kids. 

I was invited to go to a concert/recital at the British Club.  One of my prospective students was performing and his Mom wanted me to come see him, or if I couldn’t just to drop off a bunch of fliers to the class.  So Guy and I went.  The tickets were $13 each, so I didn’t want to pay that, so I convinced the lady at the British Club to let us in, to just drop the flyers off.  The mother was very excited to see me.  She took Guy and I backstage to greet all the performers.  When they heard the word “Hollywood” they got really excited.  Most of them wanted to take my acting class and that is what I was there for to promote it.  So Guy and sat in back since we were going to stay for a song or two.  But then, the promoter of the event, invited us to sit in the two reserved seats directly front and center.  So we thought there’s no way we can leave early now.  So we sat through most of the performances.  They were actually pretty darn good.  I was very entertained.  Yet two songs from the end, an angry looking Bahraini security guard marched right up to our seats in the middle of a song and demanded to see our tickets. How did he remember us?  The British Club was full of white guys that looked like us.    We explained that we were invited to stay, but he wasn’t going for that.  So as politely as we could, we discreetly snuck out.  When we explained the situation to the girl at the front desk, how we intended to leave but were invited to stay, she was apologetic.  She said we could go back in, but by then it was too late.  We decided just to leave.  I thought as we were leaving…Hey, I’ve been thrown out of nicer clubs than this before. 

Went to a birthday meal at a Mexican Restaurant after that.  I didn’t know many of the people, nor the birthday honoree, but that’s the way these parties work.  It doesn’t matter who invites you, you just show up.  One of the guys there recognized me.  He said, you are starting the acting class aren’t you?  He saw one of the articles.  I love it when that happens.  It makes me feel a little important.  Everyone is really appreciative of what Im trying to accomplish here.  It hasn’t been tried before, so im a bit of a pioneer.  But I have enough people believing in me now.  So it might just work.  The acting classes start tomorrow.  So Im a little bit curious/scared/concerned to see how my people actually show up.  I have a hunch we’ll grow slowly then become very popular. 

By the way…the blog seems to be growing.  Its nice because its growing and I haven’t included any drama from X.  Which is nice and there is a lot of drama but im trying to keep it quiet for my kids sake.  If you like the blog, please feel free to comment or email, I love hearing from you.  I can track who reads it, and its amazing.  I have readers from all five continents.  So if you want to pass this along to someone whom it will encourage, I would love that.  

No comments: