Thursday, February 26, 2009

Meetings meetings meetings

What a busy busy day it was.  I stayed at the office late last night and got a ton of work done.  Then I had a flurry of activity I needed to get done fast.  I love being busy at work.  I had to run out to the Gulf Daily News for an interview.  The Gulf Daily News is the major publication in Bahrain.  It’s the equivalent of the Los Angeles Times for this country.  So after Slumdog Millionaire won, I got kind of aggressive.  I called the newspaper and found the editor.  I told him he needed to do a story about us.  Now Hollywood will be searching for the next Slumdog and I’m trying to position KSDi in the right place to capitilize on this.  It seems like everything is coming together seamlessly right now.  So I made it to the newspaper and it was a large open office, just like the kind of news room I remember from All the President’s Men.  You know, you’d think with all the media experience I have I would have been in a few newsrooms in my day.  I really haven’t been.  Television stations/studios yes, News offices…no.  So we went to the conference room and I was interviewed by a young reporter from the U.K.  He obviously did his homework because he had three pages of questions typed up and prepared for me.  Its different than how I conduct interviews.  I go into interviews with a general idea of what I want to get, and then we just get into a conversation.  Not that either way is bad, but mine has worked for me for over 20 years.  There’s a reason why I can get people to cry…lol. 

So I think the reporter wasn’t expecting the interview to go that long, but I think he was quite fascinated by the whole interaction so we went a little longer than expected.  Now you know Im brutally honest in the these blogs so I’ll continue to do so.  This might sound a bit egotistical and its not meant to be.  But the more I talked, the more I thought “Wow…I talk a good game.”  The question is, can I back it up with action.  I think so.  With each day that passes I get increasingly confident that I can.  But the trick is, I can only do it through the grace of God.  I have to acknowledge that Im nothing without him.  He can just as quickly shut it down as he can make it happen.  In order to get this thing to work, I continuously need God’s favor like Im getting it now.  But by talking a good game, I get people to believe in me.  By believing in me, they can assist me in the goals that I have.  So in a way my faith becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I had to swing by Mo’s after the interview.  We are about embark on a partnership of sorts.  He has a lot of high powered clients.  He wants to start pitching video production to some of his clients.  He likes what we can do at KSDi.  So in a sense if he’s out selling for us…he’s an outside sales rep.  There isn’t much of a downside.  

Finally I had a meeting at the Bahrain School.  My friend Russ teaches there.  So he helped set up an interview with the principal there.  We are trying to encourage some of their students to take our classes.  The school is run by the US department of defense.  The tuition to attend there is $20,000 US per year.  The teachers make $115,000 per year with $34,000 additional for living expenses.  Im thinking…hmmmmmmm maybe I ought to scrap the whole GM thing and teach Gym.  I would never consider that, since Im having so much fun at my job now.  But still that is an amazing figure. 

Since I was near my house, I decided to work from home the rest of the day.  Im so glad I did, because it took Guy 1.5 hours to get home.  The Saudi’s descend upon Bahrain on the weekend.  They are here in droves right now.  So I was able to get a lot done from my laptop.  Worked out…and ended my short fast with a trip to Burger King for dinner.  If you remember I encouraged my Tuesday small group to do a fast for our South African friend who abruptly lost his job.  Im not sure how my little tradition of the post-fast Whopper meal got started…but I’ll go with it.  Near the end of my short little 30 hour fast, I thought how much easier this fast was then the previous fasts.  Maybe Im just building up a tolerance and getting good at it.  Anything you do long enough, you are going to get more efficient..  Maybe that’s God’s plan for fasting.  The more you do it, the easier it becomes.  

No comments: