Saturday, January 31, 2009

The banking crisis and the repercussions therein

Strange Day,

I have so many up days here , there’s bound to be a down one every once in awhile.  And today wasn’t really down, it was just kind of blah.  Nothing really happened.  Which in retrospect is a good thing.  I think Im so acclimated to being blessed  and having fantastic days that an average day is considered to be a bad day as compared with everything else.  That is a great thing I think.  It reminds me of what my father always says (I think it’s the only toast, he knows) “May the best of your yesterdays be the worst of your tomorrows.”  So I think that is what is happening to me.  God is transitioning me to higher plateau of being.  Where an average day, can be considered as bad as it gets.  That is so encouraging.  Does that mean I’m not going to have bad days.  Absolutely not.  Like Rick Warren said, either your in the midst of a trial right now, just coming out of one, or just about to go into one.  I think God is constantly challenging us. 

But from what I garnered from successfully emerging from three years of Hell, emotionally, that my world could be falling apart but my peace and joy could be full.  I think of Shadrach, Meschach, and Abendego in the furnace.  The flames are all around them, but they are kept cool.  That is the perfect analogy of where my travails have brought me.  Now…because I have emerged, other people in their personal furnaces see that I have a secret to success.  They are curious about it.  I was always freaked out about sharing my testimony before, it seemed so forced.  But since my life now revolves around the pursuit of Christ, its as easy to talk about my faith as it to talk about sports or movies.  Its always easier to share what you are passionate about.  Often my faith comes up in the course of conversation very matter of factly with non-Christ followers.  I think that is the way it is supposed to be.  When people need help through their moment of crisis, they now know where to go. 

I had a very good talk with Nader today.  Nader is my boss the banker.  He’s the reason why I came over.  I believe in him.  He wants to change the world too.  The banking industry collapse has really taken its toll on him.  Nader is a very strong, and intimidating presence.  He’s the exec. VP of a huge bank out here.   What is amazing about him, is that he is the smartest person I’ve ever met…and I’ve met a lot of people around the world.  What makes this even more impressive is that he has no formal college or upper education.  I consider myself somewhat intelligent but only because I studied and trained for so many years.  Nader is more of a self-taught genius.  It is amazingly impressive.  Not only that is he is a good actor and comedian to boot.   Yet the forecast for 2009 is so dim globally, it has taken the wind out of his sails.  His spirit is so down and yet he has to keep trudging and facing the enormity of the financial crisis at hand and fight through it.   Its like someone has taken a 2 x 4, and whacked him across the stomach with it.  I so want to get KSDI up and running to alleviate some of the pressure that he is facing.  Getting KSDi into a global entertainment company that produces social cause and entertainment related product is a dream of both Nader and I.   We have to make money at it too…so we can make more of it.   We are going to do it.  I just want to do it faster for his sake, so the pressure comes off of him and he can enjoy his family.  He has a new baby girl that is five months old, and I know he longs to spend more time with her.    He does have a beautiful family, you’d never know there was Arab in them though, they look as white as if they would be from Kentucky only they have all their teeth.  (OK…that was totally uncalled for, if I have any blog followers from Kentucky I apologize, but still that was pretty darn funny.)  That’s how most Arabs in Bahrain are, with all the mixed marriages.  These are not the Arabs you see on the news.  Or another way to put it, these are not your father’s arabs. 

Im still getting good repercussions from going to model night at the club.  There is a real interest growing in the acting classes.  Nothing like this has been done in Bahrain before.  Right now its mainly my friends that want to be a part of it, because I have told them first hand.  But once the marketing material and the ads get out…I think its going to be a huge hit.  That will sure help in this delicate economy that we are in. 

Guy had only a one hour layover in London to get to his next flight.  If you’ve ever been to London Heathrow, it’s a maze.  So while he got to the gate in time with the plane still on the runway, they wouldn’t let him board.  So the good folks at British Airways, are putting him up in a hotel for the night (which is good, because when I stayed at the Hilton Airport Hotel at Heathrow, last time I flew through London it was $375 for a regular room, London is ridiculously expensive).  So Guy was going to hang with Roy Peterson from Regent and catch the flight tomorrow. 

Its good to have days like today.  When the bad days come…I’ll be ready for em.  Plus God does that whole early warning system with me…that helps too.  

No comments: