Saturday, January 10, 2009

Defending myself

I don’t want to get petty squabbles or continue to air my family’s dirty laundry in this public forum.  But it amazes me, usually everytime I mention something about the X…my kids call me defending her and telling me Im lying.  Once I explain my p.o.v. they understand and its usually a miscommunication.  Still they are being pushed in the middle and that sucks for them.  So if anyone has a problem with what I write…please respond to me directly, don’t feel like you have to use a third party to relay information.  I guess I am flattered knowing all the different type of people that do read this.. ;o)   Like Joel Osteen once said…Don’t let the enemy steal your joy.  Im not going to let him do that.  The enemy comes to lie, steal, and destroy.  If he can do that he ruins our peace thus our witness to the world is damaged.  Why would a non-Christian turn to the Lord if we are miserable, unhappy and insecure?  The world has that already.  Instead…the Joy of the Lord is our strength.  It is the Joy of the Lord that draws people to Him.  It is maintaining that Joy in the midst of turbulence that causes people to notice us. 

I remember when I was working at Upstage while I lived in Houston.  This was a rough group I working with.  I was going through the heat of my divorce and I was lower emotionally than I had ever been…still I had maintained a peace throughout the nightmare.  I built video walls for upstage for all the major concerts that came into town.  I was only making $12/hour but I was working 10-16 hours a day six days a week because I was so reliable.  The work was hard and physical, I was blue collar labor for one of the few times in my life and it was very therapeutic.  Because I worked so many hours, I didn’t have a lot of time spend home alone wallowing in the pain of my divorce. I didn’t really fit in with my co-workers there, because a. I didn’t have tattoos, b. I didn’t do drugs, and c. I didn’t worship Satan.  So I kind of stood out from everyone else.  I think they resented me because I had a college degree and had the option of doing something else…while the rest of them…didn’t have as many options so they really didn’t like me that much.  Anyway, I developed a few very close relationships while working there.  One guy in particular, was  a smiley redhead named Winston.  Winston became a very dear friend.  A few months back, Winston was really hurting.  He came to me and mentioned that he watched me during the months that I worked and upstage and was amazed at how positive I remained in the midst of the turmoil I was experiencing with the loss of my marriage.  He wanted that same peace that I experienced.  Now keep in mind Winston approached me.  I didn’t preach at him…or tell him he was going to Hell…or to caution him against his choices.  Instead, I acted as St. Francis of Assisi advocated, “Preach the Gospel Always, when necessary use words.”  It worked with Winston, he saw something in me in the midst of trials that he wanted.  So we sat down on the couch that night and he gave his heart to the Lord.  I went out and bought him a Bible at Wal-Mart.  I’ve since lost touch with Winston, and Im deeply saddened about that.  I pray that he was able to find a group that could help shepherd him through his growth process as a believer.  Now..that is one way that God uses trials in our lives so that His glory can shine through to others through us like it did with Winston.  So its true…what the enemy meant for evil God turned for good in this very tangible case.

I finished judging for the Bahrain film festival.  We met as a jury to decide the winners.  It was funny a few days before that, my editors Saji and Manoj found out I was on the jury and they were hitting me up for information.  They both helped out on a few films (there were mostly Indian entries…Indians love movies…it’s a Bollywood thing).  So it was kind of amusing how they were trying to talk me into giving out the list.  Not a chance…compadres.  Apparently this film festival is going to be a big deal within that community.  Im excited because I told you, God wants me to help develop the film industry here, we already have a lot of enthusiasm.  So I have a good pre-existing base from which to draw.  So after deliberating for about four hours the judges and I came up with the lists and the winners.  I felt like I was helping choose the local Bahraini Oscar winners.  Im quite honored to be a part of it…though it did take a lot of time. 

We have a shoot tomorrow in Oman.  Its such a pain getting all the Visas together.  We have a Ukrainian, South African and Bahraini going.  The Ukrainian and the South African need special work visas.  If I were going I wouldn’t need one, just because of my American passport.  But if you are from a smaller country, it’s a lot more red tape.  They have to get to the Oman Embassy first thing tomorrow, process the visa which takes a few hours Im told, then hop on a plane for the shoot.  It should go without a hitch…still it’s a bit of pain.  I wish everyone were treated equally…but they are not…its just the way of the world.  Sometimes…life…just isn’t fair.  

No comments: