Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hold that release

Surprising thing happened today.  We have a pretty good relationship with the editor of the English language newspaper here.  He personally comes by to pick up old photographs that they feature in a weekly series called Bygone Bahrain.  Stan is from the UK, nice guy.  We’ve been chatting a bit since I’ve been here and I mentioned to him that I had a press release coming out announcing my arrival and KSDi’s foray into film/video.  I was already in FACT magazine, there is a link to it on my facebook page if you want to see it…In fact…(no pun intended) I’ll post it as a pic at the bottom of the image gallery.  Also let me know if you want to be my friend on Facebook if you’re not already and I’ll add you.    So the wide press release is supposed to go our on Sunday.  I saw Stan this morning and mentioned the press release so I sent it to him.  He called me back within five minutes of getting it.  He asked when this would be released?  I mentioned Sunday and he asked me to delay it.  He wanted to run it as an exclusive.  I was kind of honored that he found it so newsworthy.  But apparently it is.  OK…I hope this doesn’t sound too egotistical, because its not meant to be.  Apparently, my Hollywood experience, carries a lot of “Wow” factor here.  It doesn’t seem like that big of a deal to me, since I lived it everyday for 10 years.  But there is so much curiosity and wonder about it here.  Its kind of funny.  Since my picture was in FACT this month, I’m getting quite a bit of attention.  Its nice.  I’m not a celebrity, but I feel like people want to get to know me.  That is a very good feeling.  I’m hoping to use my “Wasta” (good favor) to garner more influence ultimately to help spread my worldviews. 

In the article, I mentioned that I would starting acting classes out here.  This has grown into a passion of mine.  Stan was the first to sign his two kids up for the course.  I wanted Manu our graphics wiz, to design an ad for the class.  He excitedly ran to my office as soon as he saw the email.  His eyes widened in excitement “Sir..you are starting an acting class here?”  Apparently acting and films are HUGE in the Bollywood community and Indians in general.  Manu thought I would get a flood of interest from that community.  I have to stop downplaying my accomplishments because it is a big deal for other people.  While all the press attention seems to be a bit self-serving at times, I have to remind myself that I am trying to promote my company.  The more press we can garner, the more free advertising it will be. 

There is so much potential here.  We are still running on a bit of a cash flow crunch…so I’m a little be apprehensive about that…but I have to let my faith take over.  I have a feeling when we get busy..it will be like a flood.  So I have to get my surfboard ready for the big wave about to come in. 

I am meeting tomorrow with a guy named Harry who is working with the Bahraini government and the William Morris Agency in LA to draw more productions to Bahrain.  The timing of all this can’t be a coincidence, meeting with Harry, meeting Bassam, Meeting with Film Factory (production co. in Bahrain), starting an acting school.  I feel like everything is converging all at the same time.  Now I don’t want to count my chickens before they’re hatched, but I also want to speak out in faith.  I am constantly affirming the call that God has for me out here and that is to change the world.  I believe it was Elijah in the valley of dry bones that called out to things that are not as though they were.  That is what I am doing.  Im doing it enough that I am absolutely believing it 100% whole heartedly.  I don’t know how its going to happen…the details are up to God.  But because I believe in it fervently, the people around me believe it in too and then the people around them believe in it…and its trickle down faith (I just coined that term, I think).  Its working…I just have to be sure to keep God’s commandments to make sure that the blessings continue to be poured out into my life.  Im very very fortunate to be in the place where God has always destined me to be.  If I am where I am supposed to be, then God will handle all the details and keep my children safe.    I miss them so.

I got invited to go over to Mo’s house tonight.  It was  a guy’s only event, as we were playing risk.  I got there early (on time).  I need to realize there is a 45 minute to one hour lag here for parties.  So Mo and I got to talking about Israel, the Gaza strip and religion.  Mo is a very devout Muslim…really a great guy.  He knows I’m a devout Christian as well.  We didn’t get down to debate each other’s religions.  That would be pointless and counterproductive.  Neither one us will be able to dissuade the other out of our beliefs. Instead I think there is a mutual respect.  We both realize that our religions are quite similar as they come from the same root.  I really don’t think that Im here to convert muslims.  I think Im here to reach all the other expats on the island, of which there is an abundance.  Im open to whatever God would have for me.  An interesting thing about our Gods…the God of Islam “Allah” and the God of Christians “Yahweh”.  They are both considered to be the God of Abraham, the God of Moses, the God of Jesus.  Are they the same God?  The fundemental (and it’s a big one) difference between Islam and Christianity is that Christians Believe in the trinity as Christ is the son of God.  Islam believes in Christ, but only because he was a great prophet.  They believe that Christ is also coming back someday.  The religions have so many similarities because they come from the same root.

So Mo’s friends came over and we played RISK.  It was great fun.  I was the first of the six guys eliminated.  The four arabs I was up against had a great fun in routing the American.  I told them, “This is the first time an Arab has beaten an American in awhile, enjoy it while you can.”  We all had a good laugh about that.  Arabs are great people. 

No comments: