Monday, January 5, 2009

Cake in my hair

What a night it was.  Everyone is gearing up for Ashura for the next couple of days.  Most of the stores and business are going to be closed down for this Shia Muslim holiday.  Remember I told you a few days back…it commemorates when the Muslims killed the grandson of Mohammed and then realized it was a mistake.  So every year, they do something like penance and beat themselves with chains and bleed a lot.  I am very excited to witness this.  Im told that the participants whip themselves up (psychologically) in a frenzy.  So they almost become trance-like.  Some people told me to avoid the demonstrations in the rural villages.  But going to the ones downtown are much more open to westerners watching.  I just want to learn and soak in as much culture as I can. 

Mo had his 27th birthday party at a Mexican restaurant.  There were about 40 people or so there.  It is really nice that I’m actually becoming friends with quite a few people.  As I write this I reek of smoke.  Many people smoke and drink out here and I do neither.  While I believe its ok to drink in moderation, God very specifically told me I was not to drink while I was here.  So therefore If I would then it would become a sin.  I think he wants my testimony spotless.  I feel as if Im in a prime position to show His Love around.  I feel like Im a light in dark place.  I had a lot of fun tonight.  The highlight was when Mo’s sister pushed his face into the cake…Mo then in turn pushed Oz’s (the other birthday boy) face into the cake too.  Then…they started throwing the cake at the rest of us.  I have frosting in my hair still.  It was all a hoot…though I’m sure wait staff wasn’t amused.  This life is so like college.  Im sure It’s going to have tons of pictures posted on facebook.  Facebook is a way of life for people out here.  So if you want to check it out..you’ll probably be able to see a bunch of the party. 

Im going to try to post some pictures of Ashura tomorrow so you guys can see what it’s like.  Im told its pretty intense.  Its going to be a short blog tonight because its 1:45 am…and I still have several emails to respond to.

By the way…I love when I get responses from you as comments.  It really ministers and encourages me.  Its even cooler when I get responses from people I don’t know.  Im not really sure how this blog is growing, but I know that it is.  For now, I consider it one of ministry opportunities.  Thank you for all your prayers and encouragement.  

2 comments:

Farhat Al Harthy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hey Rick,
I met you a few weeks ago at KSDi and have been doing a few jobs with the girls sine then.

Just wondering if you are aware of "Tashkeel" its a dubai based art community sorta thing. They have something coming up that u might be interested in. I think!

I'm coming to KSDi on thursday around lunch time so I'll leave whatever info I have with Simi to pass it on to you.

Farhat
Qunicess