Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Its all about the content

Each day that passes God amazes me more and more and more.  It’s a great feeling.  Had a meeting the Dr. Harry Bradbury Chief Economic Advisor to the Ministry of Economic Development here on the island.  One word…wow!  Harry is connected.  He is the one that is doing work with the players at the William Morris Agency.  Harry himself is a player.  I’ve met the real deal and the charlatans (Im a charlatan sometimes, that’s how I know) and Harry is the real deal.  Some of the names he was dropping would blow your mind.  When the time is right he said, we’ll all get together for meetings.  Harry and my goals line up quite synergistically.  This was truly a divine appointment.  The article in the magazine helped my credibility.  He said he saw my mug in the rag.  It was just strange sitting across from someone with so much power and influence and I was as calm and excited as I could be.  I had a renewed sense of confidence like Dan Akroyd and John Belushi said in the Blues Brothers “We’re on a mission from God.” I felt the same way.  In a sense I was just as important to Harry as he was to me.  What Harry needed the most he thought to bring the film industry and the major players here was content.  If I could provide content we could have something happen.  Ummmm….I was a screenwriter in Hollywood that did tons of development.  I think I can help come up with content.  Plus that is what Im most passionate about anyway.   I told Harry my issues with Hollywood.  I was moderately successful, but got bitten by a lot of the sharks out there and my naïveté really hurt me.  Harry said…well now he’s one of the sharks and that Im swimming with him.  Nice metaphor.  So we left this a little concrete.  I’m to provide him with some story ideas that can take place in the Middle East within the next few weeks.  Then he was going to pitch them to his connections.  I got so excited, on the way home I came up with a great synopsis.  I wrote it as soon as I got home.  It’s a 1.5 page detailed treatment.  Pretty darn good if I say so myself…I certainly had the spirit of God behind me on that one.  Its strange, I spent nearly 10 years of my life chasing my dream in Hollywood.  Yet after only 10 weeks in the middle east Im closer to my dream than I have ever been.  God doesn’t always do things the conventional way. 

Apparently this Bahrain film festival is a pretty big deal.  They are expecting 700 to 1000 people for it on Friday.  There was even an article in the paper about it.  I saw my name in it as one of the jury members…that made me feel good.  I talked to the organizer of the event, about everything I was trying to accomplish.  He’s going to make some time for me during the awards ceremony to say a few words about my passion and vision.  I’ll used it to encourage the other filmmakers and dreamers there.  It will also be a great opportunity to plug the acting school I’m starting in Feb.  I also met with a lady named Dina.  She was actually in my building, and I was meaning to call her anyway.  Dina runs a filmmaking camp for kids.  She flies in the instructors from the UK.  With me around now, hopefully she won’t do that.  She custom built a theater for her program that seats around 50.  That is perfect for my class.  She’s going to rent the space out to me.  Another divine connection.  She’s also very excited about what I’m trying to accomplish here.  Im meeting so many people with synergy.  Wow…  This is really happening.  One thing I always tell my acting students.  Success is 90% perseverance, 10% talent.  I’ve been fired, I’ve been rejected, I’ve failed, I’ve been discouraged sooooooooo many times.  Yet by the grace of God I keep getting up off the canvas before the ref can reach the ten count.  I think that might finally be paying off.  Finally…God is indeed faithful in his time…not necessarily mine.  

1 comment:

Jeff Crispi said...

Hey Rick,

I am glad you're gaining ground for both the company and your ideas.
Brian E. are writing a screenplay together. And my web series isn't a huge hit on YouTube yet but our cast and crew are growing and more experienced people are jumping on board.

TTYS,
Jeff