Friday, January 30, 2009

Hodge Podge

Another good day on the island of Bahrain.  I was torn at first, I woke up for church, they do church on Fridays here, the first day of the weekend and its still weird.  But just as I was about to leave Ms. Texas popped up on IM.  I love chatting with her, and its difficult to find mutually convenient times to chat.  So I had a choice, skip church and do what I really wanted to do, which was connect with her, or go to church.  I chose the latter and Im glad I did. 

This whole blog started out as a way for me to break perceptions that America has with the Middle East and Arabs.  Somehow slowly it has morphed into my spiritual and emotional journey.  I’ve complained, whined, rejoiced, marveled, expressed my peace, joy and elation.  It just has meandered away from a cultural understanding of Arabs.  I ask myself why.  I think its because that there just isn’t that many differences between Americans and Arabs.  We have the same hopes, dreams, and desires.  In fact, I think culturally speaking Arabs and Americans are so similar to each other with regards to wealth and how the societies rely upon immigrant labor.  The two cultures can be likened to a couple of rich kids that have always gotten what they wanted in life, and left all the little chores to do to their little brothers.  So when I find culturally interesting information, I’ll be sure to share it. 

I came home and took a nap before I played squash with Baraq.  I really enjoy that.  My friend Tom who works with the Govt. invited me to dinner so I met 8 new friends.  That is always kind of fun.  After that it was off to Models Night at a club.  I know rough going.  Actually I was more interested in networking…and it worked.  I got six more students for my acting class and a promising lead for business.  Plus I had all these beautiful women around so that doesn’t hurt.  I got encouraged to go to another club after.  So I went…didn’t stay very long, just about an hour.  Clubs seem boring to me, when you can’t have a conversation because of the volume of the music.  Maybe I’ll start liking clubs if Guy wants to go to them when he gets here.  But I doubt it.  It still helps the ego, when you go out…and friends introduce me to people as a person they need to meet.  Im honored by that. 

Guy gets here tomorrow night.  He should be boarding the plan in a few hours.  Somehow, coming from Toronto, we got him a ticket with only a one hour layover in London.  When I come from SF, it’s a 23 hour layover for me.  So 1 seems like its nothing.  Its going to be a little strange adjusting to a roommate after living alone for awhile.  Still I’m excited to have a old friend come around.  I really need Guy.  We are putting out a good product, we just need more cash flow.  Guy is an incredible salesman so I think its really going to work.  He is leaving his kids, so that is going to be hard for him.  I can relate to him on that note.  But God has a plan for the both of us. 

I have so much work to do at work.  That’s a good thing.  I just don’t want to spin my wheels.  I wrote early about hating solitude…now I actually crave it.  Its amazing what God can do to change the desires of your heart when you delight in him. 

My joy is full.  

No comments: