Friday, May 15, 2009

Satisfying Day

What a satisfying day it was for me.  This was really needed as the last few days have been emotionally tough for me as my relationship with the children is being further strained.  What happened so special today?  Nothing really major, just a lot of little things that added together made a very good day.  I woke up early to get to church.  I didn’t stay out late last night.  The idea of clubbing and meeting people just doesn’t seem to excite me.  So church was nice had a short good chat with some friends. Then it was off to the Ritz Carlton for the Friday Brunch with my friend Russ.  This is the nicest hotel on the island and one of the nicest in the world, so the brunch was fabulous.  Normally the brunch goes for $50 a person, but since I had a buy one get one free Ritz executive club card Russ and I got by for $35 a person.  (they charged me for the diet cokes).  It was still pricey but the food was out of sight.  There must have been 150 dining options on the buffet.  It is so hard to choose, so what did I do?  I filled up on break like my mother always warned me against.  They even had an desert stand with a crepe maker and coldstone ice cream maker.  Talk about your indulgences.  I don’t to the bruch every week, but once a month seems good.  Next time, I think Im going to fast for three days before I do the brunch.  I’ll get more of my money’s worth when I break the fast.  The only problem for me with the brunch, its an all you can drink affair…since I don’t really drink…im not getting my money’s worth out of it that way. 

I ate a little bit more than I should because after the meal I knew I was playing squash with my friend Darren.  Darren is one of the elders at our church and my age. He’s from Dallas.  I really enjoy playing him squash, which is a game like racquetball but the ball doesn’t bounce hardly at all and the court is half the size.  It’s a very strenuous aerobic exercise.  I like it so much better than lifting weights or running.  Squash just saps you of energy.    I really gave it my all since I’m so comptetitive.  But I had to be careful because im not 100% over the flu yet.  Im 95% there but there is the 5% still hanging on.  I needed to be careful not to overdo it and relapse back into my sickness.  After the squash was the best part.  We were at the British Club, so Darren and I sat by the pool and had a few drinks and appetizers.  I feel kind of released to drink around Christians.  So I had a small margarita and a Diet Pepsi.  It was very nice talking to him.  He’s getting married at the end of the year.  After we visited, Darren took off and I went for a swim.  This particular pool, is cooled so the temperatures in the summer don’t turn it into big spa.  So after the swim I fell asleep by the pool lazing in the warm middle eastern sun.  The temperatures were perfect, somewhere around 80 degrees with no humidity.  What a fortunate life I live.  I woke myself up after the short nap and headed back home for a quick turnaround. I was trying to get a lot of activity in for the day.  Khalifa is in the hospital for some sort of sinus operation.  I could tell he wanted some visitors so I dropped by to see him.  I really enjoy his company.  We had a nice visit.  Isn’t that strange?  I’ve been here for nine months and no hospital visits, yet in two days two different visits to the hospital.  I need to find a sick person by tomorrow to keep my streak going. 

After visiting Khalifa, I was invited to dinner with Bridgit and her family and her family’s house.  Bridgit lives in Dubai and interviewed for a position at KSDi two weeks ago.  We got along really well and are turning out to be good friends.  Her parents are fabulous people too.  So it was a nice of good conversation, and good food.  Far different from the clubbing scene.  I was invited to a party that I declined, it was a 24 hour party.  They started out at an all you can eat and drink brunch, then they moved to a pub downstairs…then a free bus took them to a club where they could drink even more.  That life doesn’t appeal to me in the least.  I guess Im a prude…but a peaceful prude.  

No comments: