Thursday, May 7, 2009

It is well with my soul

When peace like a river attendeth my way.  When sorrows like sea billows roll.  Whatever my lot, thou has taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul.  It was a very difficult day emotionally for me today.  Same crap different day.  I have to just focus that these are spiritual attacks designed to get me off course.  I know I’m doing some fantastic things over here and I will continue to do some amazing things.  I have to keep focused that “All things work together for good, for those that believe and are called according to his purpose.”  The story of “It is Well with my soul” which was written by Horatio Spafford is quite moving.  If you’ve already heard it, drop down to the next paragraph. This hymn was written after several traumatic events in Spafford’s life. The first was the death of his only son in 1871, shortly followed by the great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer). Then in 1873, he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the S.S. Ville du Havre, but sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sailing ship, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone." Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.

Spafford turned unspeakable loss into great inspiration for millions now over 100 years later.  I espouse my positive thinking beliefs every Monday for my small group.  I also espouse those beliefs with virtually everyone I meet here on the island.  Its my calling.  But I feel like that calling has been severely tested today.  But you know what…I may have been knocked to the canvas, but I’m getting up before the ref can even get to the three count.  I have faith in my creator, that he won’t ever give me anything I can’t handle.  Yes, I was stunned today…but hope resides in my heart like never before.  God has a great plan and future for my life.  My children will see that and will be reconciled to me some day.  God has made that perfectly it will happen and soon.  Thus far, everything God has spoken into my life, has come to pass.  And this will be no exception.  The trick now for me…is to not react to the short term stimuli, and keep a long term perspective on everything.  God has been so faithful to me in the past, there is no reason why there would be a let up at this point.  I am sooooo blessed here…and my children are healthy and seemingly happy…that is the important thing.  Tanya and I were speaking about this the other day.  She worked as a volunteer at a children’s hospital in the cancer unit.  Nothing to her was as devastating as seeing two grieving parents in front of bed that has two tiny little shoes in front of it…while the parents desperately hold the hand of a body that’s life is slowly draining away.  That is perspective.  I have nothing to be upset with…I thank God I never had to go through that sort of pain.  If you have ever lost someone that you love or even lost a child, my heart goes out to you.  I just can’t imagine how difficult it would be to endure that pain.  I just have to keep everything always in perspective.  Its hard sometimes but, this too…shall pass.  

No comments: