Monday, May 25, 2009

First Day back, sad anniversary, and the reason why

Wow…A lot has went on the last 36 hours, and that how long it seems like I’ve been awake.  I actually didn’t really want my flight to end going to Dubai.  I was enjoying Business class so much.  Time really did fly by, pun intended.  I got to Dubai and had a five hour layover.  I was able to spend it in the business class lounge which was enormous.  I took a shower, got on wireless internet, posted my blog and ate and ate and ate.  It was delicious.  It’s a shame im not much of a drinker because they had all the free alcohol you could ever want.  My friend loaned me the first three seasons of LOST on DVD so Im kind of addicted to them right now.  That sure helps pass the time speedily.  This way I don’t have to wait til next week to figure out what is happening.  The flight from Dubai to Bahrain was only 50 minutes, just barely enough time to scarf down the first class meal.  They had me in first class in the smaller plane, because there was no business class section.  I have to figure out a way to make more money so I can readily afford Business Class tickets, it sure is a nice way to fly.  I got back to Bahrain and when my bag came off the conveyor it was wrapped in plastic.  Apparently the outside pouch busted which sent my candy and knickknacks everywhere.  I lost most of them.  They were primarily wintergreen lifesavers for Tanya and some granola bars for me.  Oh well…the comforts of the U.S. will have to wait for my next trip back in July.  I got to bed at 4 am and got up at 7:30 am, my head isn’t really sure what time it is.  But if I get a good sleep tonight I should be more than 90% adjusted to the time zone.  The jet lag is becoming less and less of an issue the more I fly. 

I actually looked forward to going into the office today.  All the employees and I were glad to see each other.  Julie and Jerilyn were even back, so it was like we were at a full crew again.  After our staff meeting I brought out the bag of stuff.  I bought the office a Jelly Belly old fashioned coin-candy dispenser.  Many of the staff hadn’t seen that type of machine.  The staff also had never tried Jelly Bellies.  Im not sure if I’m enhancing their lives or corrupting them with my American influence.  I had bought the entire staff souvenirs of San Francisco ranging in price from $5 to $15.  It was a significant investment since I bought about 20 of them.  I had them all reach inside the bag and pick one out.  They were all wrapped so they didn’t know what they were getting.  I told them they could trade if they like.  They all seemed to be very appreciative of what they got, Cable Cars, stuffed animals, music boxes, commemorative plates, Golden Gate bridges, etc…  Its fun for me to be a blessing to them.  I think I’m a pretty cool boss.  My former employer John Lowery in Houston, really influenced me in this regard.  He was a very cool boss.  I try to emulate him when I can.  He is very giving, fair and generous.  Working in the ad agency taught me a whole lot personally and professionally which Im implementing into my career now.  

I had a great meeting with a very important Sheikh today.  He is commissioning us to do a short film on the History of Bahraini ports.  It should be quite interesting to do, since the ports go back to Sumerian times thousands of years ago. 

Today was another weird day for me emotionally.  May 25 was my anniversary with X.  So I’m going around a little melancholy today and a little sleep deprived.  The past few years this day has gotten to me.  I’m just going through a strange bunch of emotions lately.  My strained relationship with my kids, living half a world away, and the potential to radically alter my life with the Czech…my head is spinning.  I guess I just have to move slowly.  In fact, I was having a talk with God about everything this morning.  The very strong impression I felt was for me not to worry about anything and that whatever choice I needed to make would come very easy and simple to me.  That’s the beauty of when you live your life right…every choice seemingly becomes easy because when you walk with God closely its easy to hear his voice even in the difficult choices. 

Only one person was able to come to our positive living group tonight.  It was my very dear friend, lets call her Mrs. India since she doesn’t like me to use her name.  It was interesting as we were eating our pizza and she was looking through all the pictures of my children, that she requested to see. She asked, Why do you think God  would have you go through all the pain of losing your family?  I responded, because he needed me to be even stronger.  I said look at me, I’ve lost everything that was dear to me, yet I’ve never been filled with more peace and joy.  I feel like I can handle anything now.    Im not necessarily happy yet, but that emotion will come soon, right now the happiness is fleeting.  Wouldn’t you know it, the sermon from Joel we listened to, was about God allowing bad things to happen so he can strengthen us.  It answered her question completely.  God knew what he was doing having only Mrs. India show up tonight.  

No comments: