Saturday, January 30, 2010

Please O Please go see the Book of Eli

I had to wake up early today. Some of my improv. Comedy troupe and really some of my best friends on the island are forming a group called Arabites. Its essentially producing short videos to post on the web via youtube. If you are familiar with The Whitest Kids You Know its very similar to that. For their first video they wanted me to direct. I guess Im quite honored that they thought that highly of me. But it kind of put me off having to work for free. But since they had volunteered to work for free for the Improv show, I felt like I owed them. So we got off to an early start. I was in a bad mood for a little bit. I had to wake up early. So the script was written by Tariq and Muneer. They just wanted me to come direct. So there was a cast of about 10 there, they were all very excited about the project. So we produced a 10 minute no-budget internet short. It actually turned out to be quite good. It also went a lot faster than I anticipated. We got the project done in about five hours when I expected it to take 8. I was quite relieved about that. We all went out to eat after. There was quite a camaraderie there with all the funny people. I hope this doesn’t sound too egotistical, but they went on and on about how grateful they were to have me involved. They hold me in quite high regard. Since I direct all the time, I just naturally assume that anyone can do it. But apparently that is not the case. They were all very appreciative of my efforts. That made me feel really good. Since we finished three hours earlier than I anticipated I had the rest of the day to do some fun stuff. I came home and took a nap. That was awesome. Plus I got in another two hour conversation with Jenni. Each day that passes is another day Im more sure that she is “The One” for me.

After our long chat, I went out with Lamond, the former NBA player. We’re starting to be good friends. Its nice being able to talk about hoops and sports with someone that used to be in the biz. Plus Im becoming quite a fan of Muharraq, where Pat is the coach. The refs are not the fairest in the world. I think they’ve been told to favor Manama, which is the NY Yankees, of Bahrain Professional Basketball. So not only does Muharraq have to beat their opponent, they have to beat their refs as well. I really believe there is a conspiracy against Muharraq since they don’t have the largest fan base. Since Lamond is the best player in the league, the refs often give him phantom fouls far away from the action. He has a good attitude about it. He knows he has to try extra hard to overcome this. So Lamond and I went out to see The Book of Eli, starring Denzel Washington. I can’t recommend this film strongly enough, especially for Christians. Its probably the best Christian film I’ve ever seen behind only The Passion of the Christ and O Brother Where Art Thou, and maybe The Green Mile. It was so good in fact, I saw it last night with Pat and had to see it again the next night. That rarely ever happens to me. I enjoyed the film more the second time then I did the first. Spoiler alert * Im not giving away the end, but there was a part of it Where Denzel character was talking to the girl. He was explaining how God spoke to him. He said it was a voice that was inside of his head but was as real as his conversation that he was having with the girl. The voice then guided Him to a quest and said that He would protect him. That really hit home, because that is exactly how God speaks to me. He longs to speak to everyone, but not everyone has the faith to listen and believe its actually God’s voice. I think that is one of my many mandates in life, to help people hear God’s voice. I was so moved by that film. I came home and immediately bought the soundtrack from itunes.

After the movie Lamond and I went to eat. We had a great time talking about Jenni, the NBA, his future, his dreams and his kids. I told him about my blog. He wants to start one now. So I started a blog for Pat and now Lamond. That is a pretty cool thing. I ended the night the second best way possible…and that was webcam chatting with a beautiful blonde, that simply takes my breath away. Its only 11 days 21 hours, and 14 minutes til I get see her in the flesh. What a great day that will be.

No comments: