Thursday, January 7, 2010

Party with the Brazilians

What a great great day. I haven’t had one of these in awhile so it was very refreshing. The day started off right with finishing the Adam Jones-abduction piece. I so like making movies, especially those that can inspire change in people. That is why I got into the industry. I saw a movie called Cry Freedom in 1988. I was so moved and motivated about Attenborough’s piece on Apartheid, I decided then and there to study this medium and learn how to maximize its influential power. I’ve been doing that on a small scale my entire career, I think now that God is calling me to a larger scale. What I did with this Adam Jones piece is doing just that. Using the medium to enact social change. God called me to change the world. Maybe just maybe, my work can help change the world for this one family. There are talks of making 20,000 copies and distributing them all throughout Bahrain and Qatar. I for this one family would be doing what I set out to be doing in my career. I could be helping to change their world. I will post the video when Rebecca the mother sees it. Barry, the stepdad saw it today…and was speechless. He was really quite blown away. He wasn’t expecting it. Its always nice to have that kind of reaction.

I came home and got ready for a party. Mo, the party guy on the island was throwing a big birthday bash for himself.. I’ve talked way way back in my blog about White Mo the Egyptian. He’s well connected. He rented out a Brazilian restaurant. Essentially most of my closest friends were there. I invited Lamond along so I could introduce him around. Lamond has only been on the island three months, his social circle consists of other basketball players. We are really starting to become good friends. Its nice talking sports with someone that actually played the game. It was an all you can eat and drink affair. Normally I don’t drink. My standing rule is that I don’t drink unless its frozen, the color red, or has an umbrella in it. Well on my table they had Frozen Margaritas, so I partook of my share. I was feeling a little buzzed..and that is very rare. In fact, I have never been drunk in my entire life. I’ve been tipsy a few times but not out of my mind drunk. When you are drunk you are not responsible for your actions, so God forbids it really for our own protection. The waiters, like most Brazilian restaurants would come with a skewer of food, like chicken, lamb, steak, pork and shave off a different slice of meat on your plate. I must have had about 12 different types of meat. I ate so much. Afterwards the party merged upstairs. It was nice because it was a club atmosphere with an older generation of 30-40, my peeps. I had so many friends there. Lamond commented that it was nice to go to a place that had the “in” crowd. Then it dawned on me…Im in the in crowd. That was kind of a nice realization. People respect and admire me for who I am, what I’ve accomplished, and what I’m doing here. From what I came from that is a welcome change.

By the way…for those of you that care… I met Her.

No comments: