Friday, October 30, 2009

Yeah!!!! for Tariq

It was a very good day today. I think I’m nearly coming to the end of the 6 weeks of suckage. Not a moment too soon either. I stayed out last night way too late. After drinks at my friend John’s house, a bunch wanted to go to swanky club. I truly hate clubs which is a shame, because of my connections I could get a lot of perks. So I got to sleep really late. I got up early for church. I so wanted to sleep in and skip it. But last week I did sleep in and Pastor Graeme noticed. So this week I had to make sure I was there. But wouldn’t you know it, Pastor Graeme wasn’t there. After the service I met these two really interesting characters. They are both coaches for a professional basketball league in Bahrain. We went to lunch together afterwards and really had a great time. I invited my friend Mr. Harlem over, Art, and we all had a great time talking and getting to know each other. One of the coaches is looking for a new place to live and Im looking for a roommate. So he came over and checked the place out. He was very impressed with it.

I tried to take a nap, and I did for about 15 minutes. Then I was loaded with energy. I went for a kayak ride. The water is still really comfortable. Now keep in mind after I fell into the water 12 times my first time kayaking, I had not fallen in the water since that time. Then comes this yahoo on a jet ski headed right towards me. I think he was showing off for his girlfriend riding in the back. I think they wanted to zip in front of me at the last minute for giggles. But they underestimated how fast I was going. So at the last minute they pulled up and spun around about a 1 meter away from me. The huge wake threw me over. They sped away. I quickly got back on the kayak in one smooth motion. I was pretty annoyed. They came back to apologize and nearly knocked me over again. I then went off to judge a comedy competition that Imran was hosting. Imran and I are both trying to do things that havent’s been done before. This is the same contest I judged at last week. Last week we had three contestants win a spot to perform on the main stage for this show tonight. One of the last additions to the 3, and the other judge and I debated on this, was a guy by the name of Tariq Shariff. He barely made the cut. Now Tariq has been a very good friend to me. In fact it was he and Muneer that convinced me to create The Funniest Person in Bahrain. So I consider them a part of my creative team. Tariq really wants to improve so he asked me how he could get better. I told him not to rely upon his structured material, instead go with his instincts, as he’s a naturally funny guy. So he stumbled up there for 30 seconds then went completely off-book. Tariq absolutely killed (comedy term for doing well). I was so proud of him, especially since he was so nervous last week that he dropped out…then put himself in at the last minute all because of nerves. The other acts on the night were really funny, but Tariq took the cake. Tariq’s nickname is rick, so Im trying to get everyone to call him Tariq, so I can keep the “rick” name all to myself. Im proud to say that about half of the contestants from tonight were either from my acting class or my improv competition. That made me feel great.

I just woke up. I must have fallen asleep while writing this blog. Its 4:30 am..so Im just about to post. Im so excited because I can sleep in tomorrow. I don’t have to get up until my meeting at 1:30. Im pretty excited about that. Thank you for your continued prayers.

No comments: